CPOE Order Sets

I have worked at a place that did this in the past..one of the reasons I quit that job....but unfortunately it's the wave of the future and will be a requirement everywhere in a few yrs....this is one arguement for using scribes in the e.d....they take your verbal orders and do the ordering for you...

We've used it in our ED for years, so it's pretty much second nature by now. Once you get your routine down it goes pretty quickly. Something that makes it easier is the fact that we have complaint-driven order sets (e.g. chest pain, abdominal pain, trauma). You just click down the list of checkboxes for chest pain (for example) and on the same screen you get your cardiac labs, CXR, EKG, VS, IV, NTG/ASA, etc, all without changing screens. If you are having to search out each order individually I could see it being a major hassle. The way it is now I find it just as easy as doing written orders.

Archived