NCCPA SA/PI CME Requirement

OK. I've read the NCCPA website on the new Self-Assessment and Performance Improvement CME requirements and I'm still confused on exactly what they are and how to get them.

The little video on the NCCPA site suggests that the 20 hours of PI CMEs will only cost $25. Yet when I go to the AAPA website link https://cme.aapa.org/Default.aspx and then click the PI and SA tabs in the upper left corner all I see is a long list of web sites possibly offering CMEs but they all cost MUCH MORE than $25 to obtain. Most are charging over $125 !!

I've read the few previous PA Forum topics concerning this subject but I'm still just as confused as to exactly what the SA and PI CME courses are and how to obtain them.

Am I the only one who is still confused? I doubt contacting the NCCPA will be helpful.

Guest Paula

I'm hoping I can re-start my tap dancing class as I certainly need performance improvement in that area.  The stage fright gives me paresthesia of the feet.

OK. I've read the NCCPA website on the new Self-Assessment and Performance Improvement CME requirements and I'm still confused on exactly what they are and how to get them.

The little video on the NCCPA site suggests that the 20 hours of PI CMEs will only cost $25. Yet when I go to the AAPA website link https://cme.aapa.org/Default.aspx and then click the PI and SA tabs in the upper left corner all I see is a long list of web sites possibly offering CMEs but they all cost MUCH MORE than $25 to obtain. Most are charging over $125 !!

I've read the few previous PA Forum topics concerning this subject but I'm still just as confused as to exactly what the SA and PI CME courses are and how to obtain them.

Am I the only one who is still confused? I doubt contacting the NCCPA will be helpful.

While in the video it is stated that PAs will get the AAFP metric program for $25, there is a notation above that video stating it is $125 and if you try and register through the link on the AAPA site, it is indeed $125.

The current lists of SA and PI cme available are at:

https://cme.aapa.org/Default.aspx

click on the links in the upper left hand corner for each respective category

One thing to point out is that at the end of 8 years or four 2 year cycles, one has to have a total of 40 SA hours and 40 PI hours.

According to the video, these can be done in combination throughout these 8 years meaning that it is very likely more PI programs will be developed and available than are now. Meaning you dont have to rush out and do it right now. Wait for the dust to settle.

Since the 10 year cycle starts in 2014 for some PAs, the majority have several years before they have to log PI cme. I am assuming since someone will make money off this, that the wheels are already turning to produce modules to relieve us of that cash. It may also be time to query everyone in your practice and try to make this a group effort.

As to the cost, now there is a legitimate expense due to a professional requirement that an employer cant disregard. May be time to revisit the cme allowance in your contract and actually be taken serious when requesting an increase rather than viewed as an attempt to obtain an employer sponsored boondoggle.

Concerning the utility of SA and PI, SA cme has been around for quite a long time and is beneficial, similar to doing test question banks in preparation for the PANRE, now you get credit. PI seems to be a way to prove to the public we are utilizing our cme for their benefit, regardless if they will listen to us or not. 

You never really thought the rules to this game would ever change?

Good luck.

George Brothers PA-C

Archived