new grad family practice offer

I am graduating in a few weeks, scheduled to take my boards mid July.  The family practice SP has hired another new graduate along with me and would like us both to start immediately before our boards, despite our recommendations to start part time before the boards for our training days and full time after the boards.  Everything about the interview process was informal, however, the practice has a very good reputation with colleagues and my program.  I will be traveling a large distance to the practice, about 25 miles each way, including tolls and over an hour of traffic each way.  It is also a walk in clinic in an underserved area, so lots of patients coming in each day.  He also has cardiologists, orthopedics, and general surgeons in the practice every week.  Also, he does X-rays, ct scans, ultrasounds, blood/urine labs in house.

the offer:

95K (job posting stated 100-125k)

3 weeks PTO

5 sick days

medical insurance

malpractice insurance, no tail

not sure about CME $/days, licensing fees, retirement.  I am currently trying to get in touch with the SP to talk more about these details and why the salary is below the job postings salary.  Does this sound like a good offer?  anything else i should be asking for?

If the posting is 100k + I would not accept for anything less..... IMHO

make sure they are going to mentor you  A LOT

you can not see 20-30 patients a day in a free clinic where there is likely real pathology in that people have delayed treatment....

Just spoke to the SP, he is sticking with the 95k because I am a new grad, but said in 6 months we will revisit the salary and he will have no problem raising it.  He also said there is production bonuses, however, I am not sure how easy those are to attain.  He said we will discuss the production bonus details when I meet with him again next week.  As far as mentoring goes, he is offering a few weeks to train and become familiar with the practice before going on my own.  The patient count/day is concerning though.  I have no need for loan repayment so thats fine.  My PA program also uses this site as a rotation for students, and with speaking to the students who have had rotations here, they were able to see 15 patients a day on their own with no problem after a few weeks of training.  There is no signing of contract either.  Biggest problem is the gas and tolls with the commute.  Commute is looking to cost me almost 7,000 a year plus the long time driving.

Did the job say they would accept new grads?  If so I would think hard about the 95k

I agree this is a great offer for a new grad, but the  bigger issues need to be answered

What is the mentoring,

what is the expected productivity?  

What type of paper work or EMR is in place - easy or hard?

Guest Paula

Is this a private practice with a CT scanner and US on site?  Are you allowed to see patients before passing PANCE?  Does your state grant a temporary license?  Is it legal to bill for your services on a temporary license without the PA-C designation?  I would check those things out first.  For some reason your post made me think the clinic is a patient mill business.  

i will have my temporary license when i start and my state does let me bill during this time.  the site has a CT and US and Xray on site.  The sp understands I am a new grad and will need some training and after that will still need him as a mentor to ask questions here and there as needed.  While he does see a lot of patients, he is very thorough with his exams and planning and patient education (I've shadowed him before).   This is why he is hiring another PA along with myself, so the practice can continue to see this many patients while still providing good care with less of a wait time.  i still have to find out about some of the other bennies and moreso about expected productivity.

I agree with Paula.  Also, commute can be an issue after few months of working there. I had similar situation where I had to commute about an hour each way, that lasted 6 months before I found a job closer by.

Good luck!

Archived