Guns and the AAPA HOD....

So, in addition to the collaboration language that was introduced, amended, and passed....

The motion on guns was "entertaining". It provoked serious debate...

If you remember, there were 6 parts to this. FIVE were thrown out. Only C-01 remained and that was substantially amended and passed.

The language states that "the AAPA supports policies and educational programs that will effectively reduce homicide, suicide, and other violence that occurs through the use of firearms".

That was it. Nothing more.

The delegates, disappointingly however, did reject 2 resolutions that would have encouraged the BOD to establish a membership committee and develop a new PR campaign.

The research panel discussions were also engaging.

Interesting as always.

Mike

How many hours did it take for us as a profession to state, ""AAPA supports policies and educational programs that will effectively reduce homicide, suicide, and other violence that occurs through the use of firearms".

Was it a 2 minute conversation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was probably an hour or hour and a half of discussion over the course of two days.  C-01 wasn't pulled after the refcom's recommendation so it was adopted without debate.  The others that weren't adopted were more controversial, but only because many felt they weren't needed as they are largely covered in C-01.  I personally felt that much of it was just people wanting to tell everyone else that they are NRA members.

• Administrator

I personally felt that much of it was just people wanting to tell everyone else that they are NRA members.

That seems kind of silly. Of course a health profession and a gun safety organization's membership will substantially overlap...  I hope there was more to it than that.

Archived