Question for Physician Assistants

I'm a PA student, not the Physician Assistant kind, but a Pathologists' Assistant.  Why are some people in your profession getting so worked up about an apostrophe and an "s" after the word "physician"?  We have the "s" and apostrophe in our title and it doesn't bother us.

"PAs are key components to helping make a pathologic diagnosis, but it is the sole province of the pathologist to render a diagnosis."

This is a quote taken directly from the website of you're governing association. The difference lies in the fact that you are unable to diagnose and therefore "owned" in some sense by the pathologist you work for because you are truly their assistant. A Physician Assistant can diagnose independently but will often collaborate with a physician about the findings. We assist physicians, you assist a pathologist.

^Yes, I'm fully aware that PhysAs can't get into Anesthesiology (that's for AAs) and Pathology (that's for PathAs) because they have different didactic and clinical training.  However, in the end we are all "mid-levels" and I'm also not sure why some people in your profession (NPs too) hate that term.

^I will be a practicing PA in a year.  Don't forget there are two types of PAs; Pathologists' Assistants and Physician Assistants.  Also, I hope you guys change your name to something else so people stop confusing our two professions.  When I tell someone that I'm in PA school, everyone thinks I'm studying to become a physician assistant.  How about you guys change your name to physician extender and abbreviate yourselves as PEs?

Can't get em confused. One obtains a medical history, does a physical exam, orders tests, diagnoses and treats living patients, whereas the other works in a lab and obtains samples for studies, obtains medical records/charts for review, and assures proper maintenance of equipment. We are also listed as PA-C, although I did find it ironic that your national organization is also the "AAPA." Reminds me of coming to American and McDonalds vs MacDowells.

^You don't know anything about my profession, so I'll copy and paste it for you from the AAPA website:

http://aapa.site-ym.com/?page=AboutUs_WhatIsAPA

A pathologists’ assistant (PA) is a highly trained allied health professional who provides various services under the direction and supervision of a pathologist.  Pathologists' assistants interact with pathologists in a manner similar to physician’s assistants in surgical and medical practice, carrying out their duties under the direction of their physicians.  PAs are academically and practically trained to provide accurate and timely processing of a variety of laboratory specimens, including the majority of pathological specimens.  PAs are key components to helping make a pathologic diagnosis, but it is the sole province of the pathologist to render a diagnosis.

The majority of pathologists’ assistants are responsible for the gross examination and dissection of anatomic pathology specimens and the performance of postmortem examinations.  PAs prepare tissue for numerous pathological tests including frozen section, flow cytometry and immunohistochemical staining.  PAs may photograph gross and microscopic specimens, help prepare educational conferences and provide training to pathology personnel, including pathology residents.  The duties of a pathologists’ assistant are not always limited to anatomic and surgical pathology; many PAs fill administrative, instructional and supervisory roles as well.  PAs are a crucial extension of the pathologist in the healthcare setting, working as a liaison to other departments and laboratories to ensure quality healthcare.

Pathologists’ assistants perform in a wide scope of clinical practices.  Although the majority of pathologists’ assistants work in academic and community hospitals, PAs can also be employed in other areas such as private pathology laboratories, forensic pathology laboratories and morgues, reference laboratories, government healthcare systems, and medical teaching facilities.  Some PAs are even self-employed business owners providing their pathology expertise via long- and short-term contract. 

Pathologists' assistants contribute to the overall efficiency of the laboratory or pathology practice in a cost effective manner.  With increased pressure on healthcare systems to control costs, the demand for qualified pathologists' assistant is growing every year.

It's funny because I copied and pasted straight from your AAPA website...

http://www.pathassist.org/?page=AboutUs_WhatIsAPA

SCOPE OF PRACTICE FOR PATHOLOGISTS' ASSISTANTS

Refer to Article III, Section B of the AAPA Bylaws

Surgical Pathology

Autopsy Pathology

Administrative Duties

specimen accessioning

assure legal authorization for autopsy

maintenance of surgical/autopsy pathology protocols, procedures, reports and data

obtain clinical history

obtain medical records/charts for review

assure proper maintenance of equipment

describe gross features of surgical specimens

consult with attending pathologist to identify special techniques to be utilized during the examination, including cultures, toxicology, coronary artery perfusion, enucleation, etc.

assure provision of adequate supplies for and cleanliness of the surgical and autopsy suites

prepare tissues for processing for light microscopy

coordinate any requests for special specimen sampling such as organ transplantation, research

assist in organization and coordination of pathology conferences

obtain samples for studies such as flow cytometry, image analysis, research, cytogenetics, cultures, electron microscopy, immunofluorescence

perform postmortem examinations including external exam, in-situ organ inspection, evisceration, organ dissection and dictation of findings

assist in preparation for accreditation inspections (CAP, Joint Commission)

perform special procedures including x-ray imaging, frozen sections, tumor triage

prepare tissues for processing for light microscopy and special studies

performance of budgetary duties

photograph gross specimens and microscopic slides

photograph the body, organs, microscopic slides and other pertinent materials

performance of supervisory/management duties

prepare the preliminary summarization of the clinical history

teach pathology residents, medical students, pathology students

prepare the body for release to the appropriate mortuary or funeral home

Gee, I care that I prescribe medications to patients.

It's the difference between finding a problem and deciding to try to do something about it.

OP, glad you like your profession. We like ours too.

So why are you posting on our profession's website and not your own?

^I post on mine too.  I was just reading about how some people in your profession want to change the name to 'Physician Associate'.  I support this, but I'd prefer you used a different letter in your abbreviation, such as: PE (physician extender), or DA (doctor associate), or something else.  Most people on the street don't know the difference between a PA(ASCP) and a PA-C, and I think this could help.

^You're still supervised by a physician, just like us. Also, most PAs don't care about prescribing medication to patients. The real diagnosis happens in the lab, you clinicians 95% of the time never challenge the path reports.

But YOU dont make the dx right, your pathologist does...

Sent from my Galaxy S4 Active using Tapatalk.

^I post on mine too.  I was just reading about how some people in your profession want to change the name to 'Physician Associate'.  I support this, but I'd prefer you used a different letter in your abbreviation, such as: PE (physician extender), or DA (doctor associate), or something else.  Most people on the street don't know the difference between a PA(ASCP) and a PA-C, and I think this could help.

I'd venture to guess that when "most people on the street" hear someone say, "I'm a PA", they assume that person is a Physician Assistant, and not a Pathologists' Assistant.  I'd venture to guess that most have never even heard of Pathologists' Assistants (I doubt most RNs, MDs, and PAs (whoops) have either). 

Archived