Cardiology Offer- New Grad

Thoughts on the following offer would be great! Thanks in advance- new grad in a couple of weeks and the position is in south FL with a well established cardiology group with 4 physicians and 2 NPs. I'd round at 3 hospitals (divided between the mid-levels) then head to the office. M-F work with evening call once a week and call every 5th weekend. Doc takes the ED calls and calls from other physicians. 

Base salary: 85k

Bonus- stated, but no info on how it is calculated (I asked, but no further info)

Cell allowance- $75 month

Milage $300 month

Practice covers credentialing at the three hospitals

Med Mal covered, but tail coverage is 'provided at discretion of employer at time of termination of contract'

PTO- 21 days (includes vacation, sick, CME, etc)

$1000 CME- (if CME funds are used and I were to leave  the practice with in 6 months after I would have to pay this back                             and if I left before 1 year after the funds are used I'd have to pay back 50% of this)

Paid holidays- 6

Membership to one professional association

Paid FL licensure

401k- after 1 yr, no matching/contribution

Health- 60% of mine only (no family plan) or $2400 with proof of other insurance (though spouse, etc)

No dental/vision

Can moonlight with prior approval only, no no-compete clause

Potential for $5k increase at 6 month mark based on evaluation

Yearly contract (but either party can provide 90 days notice)

I think that is all of the major points. I need to send them a reply soon so any thoughts are great! 

I'm entering PA school next month, so I have no PA experience, but I do have plenty of other professional experience. Overall, I think this offer kind of sucks. I realize it's in South Florida, which is notorious for low pay, but this is barely more than I made as a manager of a group of technical writers. The base salary seems low, as do the total days of PTO considering that's sick time, vacation time and CME time. Plus, if you think about it, you'll pretty much always be paying back some of the CME money the year you leave since there's the caveat that you have to pay back half within a year of using the time.

The benefits suck - no family health coverage? You're a professional who'd likely have a family. Are you supposed to put your kids in Florida Kid Care?

You can moonlight with prior approval, but when will you have time? You're already working five days a week.

Sorry to be negative, but I think you can do better.

I'm entering PA school next month, so I have no PA experience, but I do have plenty of other professional experience. Overall, I think this offer kind of sucks. I realize it's in South Florida, which is notorious for low pay, but this is barely more than I made as a manager of a group of technical writers. The base salary seems low, as do the total days of PTO considering that's sick time, vacation time and CME time. Plus, if you think about it, you'll pretty much always be paying back some of the CME money the year you leave since there's the caveat that you have to pay back half within a year of using the time.

The benefits suck - no family health coverage? You're a professional who'd likely have a family. Are you supposed to put your kids in Florida Kid Care?

You can moonlight with prior approval, but when will you have time? You're already working five days a week.

Sorry to be negative, but I think you can do better.

hummm   pre pa  giving salary advice........

not sure I would pay any attention to it

also, not sure where a pre pa thinks they are the expert in  pay issues??

I think you were a little too quick to judge his advice, especially since you did not add any constructive to the conversation.  Anyway, the actual salary doesn't sound terrible, but to have ZERO 401k match and poor insurance benefits really make this offer questionable. I personally would ask them to reconsider the benefits before accepting anything. 

I work in cardio in Ohio and I have some concerns about your set-up. The gross pay is OK, but:

- they need to provide tail coverage

- they need to give you -- at least -- more-or-less total health care coverage (it seems to be getting harder to find private practice jobs with family care)

- They should be able to give you an idea of your bonus. One idea is to collect a productivity bonus of x% of what is collected for patients you see in clinic after, say a year (we get 25% now)

- Having a 401-k without a match is not good

- They should pay all credentialing costs. What if they want you to go to a 4th hospital?

-PTO is only fair if it includes CME. Would be nice to know if it escalates after x years.

- No non-compete is really nice. You can leave and get a better job at some point.

- Mileage and phone is nice; we don't get that

All in all, not a great offer, but you can weigh that against the job and other options you may have. I've never been sued, but I don't think I'd work without tail coverage.

I think you were a little too quick to judge his advice, especially since you did not add any constructive to the conversation.  Anyway, the actual salary doesn't sound terrible, but to have ZERO 401k match and poor insurance benefits really make this offer questionable. I personally would ask them to reconsider the benefits before accepting anything. 

I have answered so many of these posts lately I am worn out - search the forum before just posting every job offer - lots of info in the past 1-2 months

see below on a well thought out response from someone who actually works in Cardio and has a knowledge base to fall back on

I work in cardio in Ohio and I have some concerns about your set-up. The gross pay is OK, but:

- they need to provide tail coverage

- they need to give you -- at least -- more-or-less total health care coverage (it seems to be getting harder to find private practice jobs with family care)

- They should be able to give you an idea of your bonus. One idea is to collect a productivity bonus of x% of what is collected for patients you see in clinic after, say a year (we get 25% now)

- Having a 401-k without a match is not good

- They should pay all credentialing costs. What if they want you to go to a 4th hospital?

-PTO is only fair if it includes CME. Would be nice to know if it escalates after x years.

- No non-compete is really nice. You can leave and get a better job at some point.

- Mileage and phone is nice; we don't get that

All in all, not a great offer, but you can weigh that against the job and other options you may have. I've never been sued, but I don't think I'd work without tail coverage.

Ventana, 

Ventana,

I never said I was an expert in pay issues, and I didn't think this board was restricted to those who are. 

Just to clarify, while I am "pre pa", I have > 20 years in the professional world and certainly can comment about things like benefits and salary with experience and a bit of "expertise". 

Not everyone who is entering PA school is fresh out of college with no real-world experience. 

Honestly, I'm a bit disappointed in your response. I've been reading these boards for a while, and come to respect you and your opinion as you seem to give thoughtful answers to most questions. But, you blew off what I wrote without any consideration. Nothing that I wrote really warranted being disregarded in such a manner. BOO.

Ventana, 

Ventana,

I never said I was an expert in pay issues, and I didn't think this board was restricted to those who are. 

Just to clarify, while I am "pre pa", I have > 20 years in the professional world and certainly can comment about things like benefits and salary with experience and a bit of "expertise". 

Not everyone who is entering PA school is fresh out of college with no real-world experience. 

Honestly, I'm a bit disappointed in your response. I've been reading these boards for a while, and come to respect you and your opinion as you seem to give thoughtful answers to most questions. But, you blew off what I wrote without any consideration. Nothing that I wrote really warranted being disregarded in such a manner. BOO.

You might have experience in employment issues, but employment issues as a PA is an entirely different thing.  You have never (not even once) negotiated a position as a PA and realized the pitfalls that arose, or had a PA job go bad.  You reply was strong in its conviction, and yet you came from a position of zero authority in the area. 

I do not think that pre-pa nor PA-s really have any standing to be giving salary advice (maybe unless you previously were involved in the hiring and HR side of PAs - which is very rare)

Everyone has an opinion, but when it comes to pay and compensation issues - experience really does count, and the PAs coming to this board deserve to have people that have "lived it"  and "been there" providing the advice.  

(I too am a non-traditional student and had 10 + years experience in both the public and private sector before going to PA school, I have both undergrad and graduate business degrees as well as currently owning my own practice, as well as being married to a practice owner)

I don't like it.

Your CME allowance is pretty low.  No DEA license coverage.  You have to use your vacation time for CME hours so really you'll only have 2 weeks of vacation time, of which sick leave is part of it.  So really you can only go on vacation <2 weeks.

What's the radius of those hospital sites?  IRS standard mileage is 56 cents a mile.  You are given $100/hospital.  You have to calculate if this is enough for the wear and tear of your vehicle.  Are you rounding only in the morning or also in the evening?  Now you have to double the mileage calculation.

Can they at least cover your health insurance at 100%?  Might be cheaper to buy coverage elsewhere for your family members.

My 2 cents.

Archived