New Grad Paid Training?

I will be graduating in August and have been offered a position at the clinic where I have done my primary care rotations.  I will be doing derm for the clinic and they want me to train with their dermatologist that comes to the clinic twice a month. I would travel to train with the Dermatologist. Originally they had offered to pay for my travel and housing to do a rotation with the Dermatologist, however mine and the dermatologists schedules didn't line up to work out while I am a student.  The current plan is to start training after I am officially hired.  What is a reasonable hourly wage for training time keeping in mind the clinic would also be paying for my travel and room and board. Any suggestions?

this is a common theme that is tried on new grads

just say NO

once you pass your boards and get your license you are a PA-C and this whole idea of "training" is just a way to get you on the cheap.

I would provide them the salary report from AAPA for a new grad in your area and state that the 75% is your starting point.

Though I agree with the previous replies, derm PAs are typically well paid and it seems you will have a great deal of autonomy once you join the clinic. If it were me, I would look at the terms of the offer (pay, vacation, insurance, cme, bonuses, etc., etc.) If the offer is generous (75 percentile or better), then I would look at the duration of the training. If it is short, comparable to a clinical rotation, rather than months, and the hourly pay is $25 or better, similar to a residency, I might be inclined to go along. With all due respect to the previous replies, I wouldn't want to walk away from an otherwise sweet deal just because of the training pay. In saying this, I make the assumption that you don't have or anticipate getting better offers elsewhere and that you really want this job. It is really difficult to advise someone else without knowing all the particulars so please realise that I offer this guidance without much background information. Good luck on pursuing your career. May I request that you report back what you decide to do and how it works out?

Sent from my Kindle Fire HDX using Tapatalk 2

I think the position is a great opportunity.  I have been doing my primary care rotations there since October and I absolutely love the staff and other providers. It is an incredibly supportive environment which I think is a great place for a new grad. Not to mention having the opportunity to work in dermatology. I know it is a hard field to get into.  I know that other NP and PA providers at the clinic started at 42-43/hour plus incentive bonus for the number of pts seen above 20 and an end of the year bonus around 7000 with malpractice, health insurance, and retirement that they match. I think I can negotiate with the CEO a little bit higher base pay as I will be providing a specialty care. I really want this position. I have had some other informal offers but nothing that I am excited about. My concern is that I just don't want to come across as too demanding. I think it is common for women to be hesitant to demand what they deserve and I realize I don't want to perpetuate that cycle but I am not sure exactly where to find the balance. I appreciate the input. 

They also pay for almost all professional fees including licensing, professional organization memberships (AAPA etc) 5 days CME per year with a $1500 budget, 2 weeks vacation, 2 weeks sick time, they pay for any resources like Epocrates, Up to Date etc. 

They also pay for almost all professional fees including licensing, professional organization memberships (AAPA etc) 5 days CME per year with a $1500 budget, 2 weeks vacation, 2 weeks sick time, they pay for any resources like Epocrates, Up to Date etc.

If they treat people so well it seems unlikely they will screw you on the training. IMO, if they ask you how much you want for training, you should ask for the same rate they pay other PAs but I wouldn't go the mat on this issue. You sound really excited about a great job with some really nice people so don't be afraid to negotiate but don't risk losing the job over a short term issue that won't matter worth a hill of beans a year from now. I would bet they will treat you quite well on the training pay and you may be pleasantly surprised.

Sent from my Kindle Fire HDX using Tapatalk 2

Archived