2014-2015 Drexel

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I spoke with Janet about a week ago I asked her if the class was almost full - she said not at all and that they do it differently than other programs and they "like to take their time" so congrats to you Jan. 9th people. There's definitely still lots of spots open! Good luck! Drexel has a great program and they really make you feel so welcomed and comfortable on the interview day. 

Thank you lamb_chop! I was a little worried about that but you made me feel so much better!! Drexel's application process was a large reason I wanted to apply. They really make it a point to choose the right applicants and that gives me a lot of hope because I'm a pretty non-traditional applicant.

Wen,

I'd say that's a good sign! If they weren't interested in you as an applicant, they wouldn't have asked for more information. This same exact thing happened to me last year and after I submitted the information, I got invited for an interview two weeks later!

Good luck :)

Hey All! Question about post-acceptance stuff. I saw that Drexel uses Certified Background for their criminal history checks and to collect documents such as immunization records, but also that they require fingerprints to be sent to the Dept of Public Welfare, which uses the FBI to run a background check. Does Drexel use both checks, or just one? It seems silly to run two checks for one program...Do we have to pay for both? Does anyone know? Thx!

Certified background will give you instructions how to do fingerprints. Everything you need to do will be in tasks there. Fingerprints are to make sure you ain't a criminal ;)

Hi all, I plan to apply in the next cycle.  I was wondering, do you think most Drexel applicants have more science classes beyond the prerequisites?  I took Bio I and II, Chem I and II, a few psychs, Orgo with lab, Genetics (didn't have a lab), A&P I and II, and Microbiology.  I will take med term soon.  Fortunately, I have As in all of them, so I'm not sure if I'm better off leaving it at that, or if I should go into taking biochem, cell bio, pathophysiology, immunology, etc.--classes that are not prereqs anywhere, but could be "useful".

On the one hand, it would probably delay my application, take away time from HCE (which I already don't have a huge amount of--but I'm starting an ER scribe job next week), and runs the risk that I'd get less than an A in one, lowering my GPA.  On the other hand, if everyone else has these classes, then I could be at a disadvantage, and it might make PA school much more difficult if I do get in, without having that background knowledge.  

How did your, or other applicants', from what you could tell, science classes compare with the prereqs?

Thank you!

I would always recommend taking upper division classes, as it rounds out your knowledge base and teaches you how the basic sciences are applied to medicine. I wouldn't worry about one class dropping your GPA, as it sounds like you have plenty of book smarts.

However, HCE and other experience outside of the classroom is invaluable. I don't think that taking a few extra classes would compromise you in this area, its just something to be mindful of.

The goal is to find the balance between the classroom and the real world. :) PA schools value that above all.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived