Good teaching styles?

Hi everyone,

I'm a pre-PA, and am in the process of figuring out which schools I'd want to apply to.  I was wondering if anyone has thoughts about the teaching styles in their schools.  For example, I saw some powerpoint slides from a med school class at University of Buffalo Medical School.  The slides were on the cells involved in inflammation, and the professor had a "cast of characters", including Poly the neutrophil, Monty the monocyte, Pacman the macrophage, etc.  And the slides basically told the "story" of how those characters interact and what they do.  It was really neat, and makes it easier to remember.  All his slides are like that, and I imagine he's a great professor.

Does anyone have thoughts about schools that tend to have fun, enjoyable (maybe?) styles of teaching, as opposed to just throwing out massive loads of dry info at you?

Thanks!

Around here, it has depended on the section, the professor, and the lecture. We're taught by faculty, doctors, and residents. Some are awesome and have done things like you mention above, but others aren't as skilled and attempt death by powerpoint. 

Unless you are at a school where only the faculty teach, I think you are going to see similar situations across programs. Unfortunately, it happens when you only have a year or so to get through all the topics that we have to in PA school.

Lots of information = many lectures = lots of lecturer variability. 

Hi everyone,

I'm a pre-PA, and am in the process of figuring out which schools I'd want to apply to.  I was wondering if anyone has thoughts about the teaching styles in their schools.  For example, I saw some powerpoint slides from a med school class at University of Buffalo Medical School.  The slides were on the cells involved in inflammation, and the professor had a "cast of characters", including Poly the neutrophil, Monty the monocyte, Pacman the macrophage, etc.  And the slides basically told the "story" of how those characters interact and what they do.  It was really neat, and makes it easier to remember.  All his slides are like that, and I imagine he's a great professor.

Does anyone have thoughts about schools that tend to have fun, enjoyable (maybe?) styles of teaching, as opposed to just throwing out massive loads of dry info at you?

Thanks!

You have piqued my interest, would you mind sharing the link to this prof's ppt's?

You have piqued my interest, would you mind sharing the link to this prof's ppt's?

There is no link unfortunately, a friend of mine sent me the PDF.  He's friends with a student in the class who sent them to my friend.  If you like, I could maybe email it to you if you send me a message here.

Does anyone know any specific PA schools that they know as being unique in some way in their teaching styles, or just particularly good?

The big trend now in a lot of education is trying to "flip the classroom." The basic idea is that you do your homework at school and your schoolwork at home. That is, you can sit and listen to pre-recorded materials at home in place of the traditional "lecture." Then when you come to class there is time to talk through cases and practical application of the material that EMED speaks about above.

I have only tried it a couple of times, but students seem to like it so I anticipate phasing in more.

Hi everyone,

Thanks!

Check out www.medcomic.com

I'm always adding new artwork with the goal you mentioned - to make studying medical concepts enjoyable.

Archived