Cumulative Clinical Skills Practical (help)

For the last 10 months we've had a bunch of practical exams but now we have an upcoming cumulative exam. This time rather than doing it on classmates it's on actors. It sounds very similar to the USMLE clinical exam.

Can anyone suggest ways to prepare for it?

Agree with the above advice. Practice with your classmates and critique. As far as the scenario, they won't be trying to trick you, they just want to see competence. The scenario will be a condition you know a lot about. Remember common things happen commonly! Think about things like HTN, DM, dyslipidemia, etc. It might even be a well visit where they want to see you do a complete physical.

Our comprehensive physical involved a complete exam and then a number of problem-focused exams.  I think we had 30 minutes for the comprehensive exam. I remember "kitting" my equipment (arranging it in a sensible order on the exam tray). The big deal was the stuff for all of the neuro checks. By arranging it, I could remember what comes next. After that, it was a matter of practice with some classmates.

The problem-focused exams were easier. Someone comes in with complaints and you do bits and pieces of the system-focused exams to try to isolate the cause. We had less time and, if you kept your wits about you and the differential, the exams kind of suggested themselves.

So, in summary, my advice: kit your equipment and practice for the comprehensive exam. For the problem-focused exams, think about the differential for the complaints and then do your tests to rule out the things you are considering. 

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived