Do Extroverts or Introverts Make Better PAs?

Do Extroverts or Introverts Make Better PAs?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Do Extroverts or Introverts Make Better PAs?

Are you happy in your work?

Well, of course you do - and you deserve to be!

One of the best ways to ensure long-term satisfaction is to properly match your job with your personality. Because the simple truth is, certain personality types naturally fit with certain types of work.

When you work at a job you love, you’re more motivated, fulfilled and more likely to be successful. What do you believe you are extrovert? Perhaps an introvert?

The thinking that leaders are extraverts is not necessarily the case according to an article from The Wharton School. New research shows that extraverted leadership provides a clear authority structure and direction. But pairing extraverted leaders with employees who are proactive may lead to conflict, while pairing the same group of employees with an introverted leader can be very successful.  According to the researchers, in existing leadership research extraversion stands out as the most consistent and robust predictor of who becomes a leader and who is rated an effective leader.  This model however tells little about the situations in which introverted leaders can be more effective than extraverted leadership.

A survey of leaders and employees of a national pizza delivery company found that when employees are proactive, introverted managers lead them to earn higher profits. When employees are not proactive, extraverted managers lead them to higher profits. Mismatched, the personality conflicts can lead to a power struggle, pitting leaders against employees and ending up in a situation known as “status uncertainty.”

Extraverted leaders may feel like their “status is being threatened. They might say, ‘I’m supposed to be in charge here. Let me reassert my authority.’ But the introverted leader … is likely to quietly process the ideas that come up. That leader is worrying less about the ego or image implications of employees taking charge and introducing ideas.”  Interestingly, neither the introverted leaders nor the extraverted leaders showed higher productivity or profitability than the other. The difference was in the pairing of leaders and employees. What do you all think?

Source: RetailWire.com

I think this is specialty specific. "cerebral" specialties like neurology and I.D. are probably better suited to introverts while specialties like EM and trauma likely favor those who are able to take command of a situation and direct other team members.

that being said, I know shy ER providers and outgoing neuro and ID folks, so my comments are really more of a generalization.

there was a post a while ago at SDN in the em forum about risk taking and outdoor activity participation among em providers vs other specialties. try this experiment yourself (I did). ask 10-15 er docs if they have ever climbed a real mountain (with crampons, ropes, etc) or rafted a class 5 rapid. then ask the same # of hospitalists. in my quick survey 0/10 internists had done either activity and 8/10 em folks had done at least one activity and 7/10 had done both. also the mtns climbed were not insubstantial. in my em group, 3 of the docs I work with have attempted Everest and 2 had climbed Denali for example.

"I think this is specialty specific. "cerebral" specialties like neurology and I.D. are probably better suited to introverts while specialties like EM and trauma likely favor those who are able to take command of a situation and direct other team members.

that being said, I know shy ER providers and outgoing neuro and ID folks, so my comments are really more of a generalization."

May not be too far off E.

Our department has everyone take MyersBrigss testing. Then if you go on to the leadership development 1yr program the hospital offers, which I am currently in, you re take it plus a whole lot of

other exams assessing the various components for leadership.

As you can guess, the majority of people in our department are extroverts.. Of the clinical and immediate administrative supervisors, only 2 of us are introverts. I am one, and in a realm of introverts

that is only present, according to the reading I have done, in 1-2% of the general population. Our new department head of Trauma is an introvert as well.

May not be too far off E.

Our department has everyone take MyersBrigss testing. Then if you go on to the leadership development 1yr program the hospital offers, which I am currently in, you re take it plus a whole lot of

other exams assessing the various components for leadership.

I have taken this several times and am actually on the borderline of extrovert vs introvert every time I take this. I think I am extroverted at work and introverted in my personal life. I usually score ESTJ or ISTJ.

I feel the topic of introvert vs extrovert is commonly misunderstood by many.  As I understand it, the textbook definitions of introverts/extroverts are not weather one is shy or outgoing, but in what contexts one person gains social energy or is drained of social energy.

introverts - gain social energy by having precious alone time.  social interactions can be difficult/exhausting if adequate alone "re-charge" time has been lacking

extroverts - gain social energy by being around people.  almost like a positive feedback mechanism.  as a result, can be the "life of the party".

there are shy extroverts and there are outgoing introverts.  I believe these concepts are often confused.

Archived