Upper level science courses

I have read throughout this forum that many schools look down upon science courses taken at a CC where I've taken most of my pre-requisites... So this may be a silly question but how will I go upon taking courses at a 4 year university? Would I need to apply to a post bac program or some sort? Or are there any schools/4 year universities (specifically in Socal) that I don't know about that offer upper level science courses and does not require admission into the school? I already have my bachelor's from a 4 year but retook some classes at a CC because of poor grades in undergrad.

I can only speak from my own experience, but I had to apply to the school and register for classes (same as undergrad). If you are looking for financial aid, you would probably need to be in some program, otherwise you can be "non-degree seeking" or "post bach. pre-professional prereqs". You get the idea :)

Your gonna have to get admitted into a school and can apply for a second undergrad degree in bio or biochem. The cal state system isn't bad.  I did that and had no issue.  Note that every school is different on how you can take upper division pre reqs.  For Cal State San Bernardino (CSUSB) before you can take any upper bio you must finish the one year biology series and then take CSUSB's Bio 300= cell phys.  After you take that class you can take any upper bio class you want.  Some classes might have other requirements.  

I can only speak from my own experience, but I had to apply to the school and register for classes (same as undergrad). If you are looking for financial aid, you would probably need to be in some program, otherwise you can be "non-degree seeking" or "post bach. pre-professional prereqs". You get the idea :)

I wish I knew this before taking so many classes at a CC :( 

Your gonna have to get admitted into a school and can apply for a second undergrad degree in bio or biochem. The cal state system isn't bad.  I did that and had no issue.  Note that every school is different on how you can take upper division pre reqs.  For Cal State San Bernardino (CSUSB) before you can take any upper bio you must finish the one year biology series and then take CSUSB's Bio 300= cell phys.  After you take that class you can take any upper bio class you want.  Some classes might have other requirements.  

Would I still be able to do this even if I have a bio degree? 

Before you go taking classes at a 4 year school, please go talk with the schools you are considering applying to.

It is far easier to arrange to take classes at CC (they are geared for night students who have jobs, etc) and, at least in my case, the schools I applied to didn't care where I took my classes. Further, in my state, you can transfer instate CC courses to state 4 year colleges. Even premed students who are already enrolled in 4 year universities do that on occasion.

Now I've heard of schools that care where you took your classes, and maybe the ones you want to apply to are among them. Time for some research before you build a complex path that you may -- or may not -- need to follow.

Good luck.

Before you go taking classes at a 4 year school, please go talk with the schools you are considering applying to.

It is far easier to arrange to take classes at CC (they are geared for night students who have jobs, etc) and, at least in my case, the schools I applied to didn't care where I took my classes. Further, in my state, you can transfer instate CC courses to state 4 year colleges. Even premed students who are already enrolled in 4 year universities do that on occasion.

Now I've heard of schools that care where you took your classes, and maybe the ones you want to apply to are among them. Time for some research before you build a complex path that you may -- or may not -- need to follow.

Good luck.

Quoted because it's really worth emphasizing this point.

Yes.  There has been some discussion about the validity of CC based pre-reqs when it comes to applying to PA school.  Some schools care about it.  Some schools don't.  It may benefit you to take a good hard look at the schools you would consider attending with regards to, among other things, their willingness to accept CC based classes or not.

And if the schools you're currently considering care about where the classes were taken then perhaps consider looking at schools that don't care.

All the best in your quest.

edit: thought clarification

Good luck.

Quoted because it's really worth emphasizing this point.

Yes.  There has been some discussion about the validity of CC based pre-reqs when it comes to applying to PA school.  Some schools care about it.  Some schools don't.  It may benefit you to take a good hard look at the schools you would consider attending with regards to, among other things, their willingness to accept CC based classes or not.

And if the schools you're currently considering care about where the classes were taken then perhaps consider looking at schools that don't care.

All the best in your quest.

edit: thought clarification

Thanks for all the help everyone!

I am going to need to research and speak with schools before deciding where I will be applying. I would love to not throw away semesters of CC classes to retake them again at a 4 year. 

Thanks for all the help everyone!

I am going to need to research and speak with schools before deciding where I will be applying. I would love to not throw away semesters of CC classes to retake them again at a 4 year. 

Sounds like a good plan - Good luck in all your endeavors!

Archived