New Grad ER Offer, am I missing something?!

I just got an offer at my #1 choice for my first EM job. It seems amazing, almost (but only almost) too good to be true. wondering if you have thoughts on what things I might be glossing over or neglecting here... 

Salary position committing to:

- 1800 ER hours/year (will work with seasonal scheduling, flexible scheduling), varies 8-12 hour shifts. 

- Mainly lean/fast track, which is my only option until I'm ready to relocate. However, when that time comes, likely could easily transfer to another ER in a more rural setting, with more autonomy with this company if wanted. 

- PTO: none, and no extra time for CME, but can be scheduled around easily

- CME: $2000/ year

- Pays state license, DEA, and controlled substance registration in addition to CME. (although won't pay my initial)

- Medical/Dental/Vision: covered at 70%, I would pay 30%

- Malpractice: covered at 100%, includes tail

- Retirement: 403(b) matched at 2% for first 5 years, then matched at 5%

- one on-call shift/month within the agreement, additional call shifts paid at $250/shift. 

- Salary position (no time clocks) is equivalent to $55/hr while shadowing and doing 1:1 with another provider working alongside me seeing the same patients, then $65/hr when I get the training wheels taken off. I'd be seeing patients on my own, but never without another provider nearby.

I'm pretty set on taking the offer, any other things I need to consider? 

prior experienced individual, also got loan repayment @ this very rural e.d.

As I suspected (referencing his/her prior experience).  I likely have a relative dearth of experience (being the sort of non-medic/nurse/etc. so blatantly maligned by the old guard), but my salary expectations are set accordingly.  Still, it's a nice range at which to aim for my first contract negotiation.

It will hopefully help that I do want to work in a rural area.  We'll see!! (Well, we'll see a year or so from now.)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived