failed contract negotiation. Now what?

Hi all, I am seeking advise on my current situation.

I made connection with a doctor A over a year ago as a student. He is in an desirable location, desirable specialty and expressed interest in hiring a PA. I reached out before graduation (last October), did an interview, and shook hands on the job. No contract or offer was made at the time.

What happened after that was a little unnerving. I will spare the details. basically when the contract finally came in early January, I proposed some changes. After that he stopped responding to me despite my weekly follow up. Then a week ago I got an offer from a Dr. B in the same area. It's in a very nice family practice required immediate start. I e-mailed Dr. A, mentioning an offer and asked for a final decision. He did not reply for another 2 days. I then e-mailed his office manager in case he didn't receive my e-mail. He finally replied to me stating my changes were unnecessary and unreasonable. However he agreed to rewrite the contract if I was serious about the job. 

Considering money, time and energy, and the vibe of the practices, I decide to accept the offer B. Now here's my question: How do I tell Dr. A that I am with Dr. B? 

We have been communicating for over half a year and reached the final stage, so I think he deserved to know more. Plus Both A and B are in the same small town and know my preceptor, who was also acted as my reference for both, and we are likely to have interactions in the future (referring, county meetings, etc), so I need to be on good terms with him. 

Please tell me what you think and give advise. I like him as a person. It would be a pity to have a bad relationship due to a failed contract negotiation. 

• Administrator

It wasn't failed, it was slow.  Most likely, the doc involved has never had a course in negotiating, and so has too much ego in the game.

Make your notification matter-of-fact: "While I was awaiting a mutually-satisfactory contract, I have been offered a satisfactory contract by another provider.  While I would have loved to work with you, financial reality dictates that I accept this offer."

as above

only thing I have learned in my own career is don't ask a potential employer to match an offer if you are not going to take it.  By asking/forcing him to do the re-write (and if he did everything you asked for - eventually) it is sort of crappy to then say no (I learned this the hard way also) 

BUT the most important thing now is confront it professionally and honestly and simply state what revronin said

Also, i think you made the right choice, those offers where I have had to push and pull the correct things out of the Doc or Practice Manager - never seem to work out.......

Archived