Bad credit or bankruptcy = no job?

Are you sure thats prohibited by law? Plenty of employers run credit checks....like banks heck even the Air Force and they use it.

Will I have problems getting hired as a PA if I have bad credit or filed for chapter 7 bankruptcy in the recent past? I know this type of discrimination is prohibited by law, but I'm wondering what actually happens in reality. Does anyone have any incite to offer?

I'm not a pre-PA. I've graduated. It's not illegal to run a credit check, but it is illegal to discriminate against someone for their credit history... just like any anti-discrimination law in the workplace. I know some professionals punish you more than others (without disclosing) for your credit history.

Ive never seen that.....can you link to this information? I mean I have seen the EOE disclaimers but nothing about financial stability/history etc was listed.

Ive done some googling and all I have found is that employers are perfectly within thier rights to deny employment based on credit history as long as it equally exercised across the board and does not cause other violations (i.e. denying minorities employment that have the same type of credit history as whites that are being employed). They also have to notify you why in writing providing you the information for the credit agency you used and giving you 10 days to correct whatever the credit issue was (chase did all of this when I applied to them).

Im not a PA but i would think the only time credit is really an issue is when you are handling sensitive items, such as large amounts of money and sensitive information (which is why the military runs background/credit checks for security clearances)

I'm not a pre-PA. I've graduated. It's not illegal to run a credit check, but it is illegal to discriminate against someone for their credit history... just like any anti-discrimination law in the workplace. I know some professionals punish you more than others (without disclosing) for your credit history.

Credit history is regularly used as a hiring criteria. This is done often for positions that will handle large sums of money or those responsible for others that do. I've read that some fed jobs may require any outstanding collections be taken care of before security clearances are issued.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I don't think you will have problems getting a job as a PA after filing for bankruptcy, because in general you will not be handling the money directly.

So they will not worry that you will be tempted to steal.

From personal experience, I have filed for chapter 7 bankruptcy as well and have applied to jobs and was recently offered one. In that time no one ran my credit history to my knowledge.

So I wouldn't worry that much about it.

Thanks purplecats. That's basically what I was asking about. I realize that many employers have you sign a release to allow them to do a credit check, which is perfectly legal in most states. It's more or less illegal to not hire someone who doesn't work directly with money based on their credit history, although it's done of course, I was trying to get a feel for whether or not this would be an issue in this profession.

Thanks purplecats. That's basically what I was asking about. I realize that many employers have you sign a release to allow them to do a credit check, which is perfectly legal in most states. It's more or less illegal to not hire someone who doesn't work directly with money based on their credit history, although it's done of course, I was trying to get a feel for whether or not this would be an issue in this profession.

Good thread. Are you still looking for a job or are you already working? If you're still looking, are you finding it difficult to get hired?

Archived