ND professor; should I be concerned?

What are your thoughts about having an ND teach PA students? My program has an ND teaching physiology as well as pathophysiology. The professor is awesome and very smart but I feel as though there is a different (ND) prospective being interjected and this concerns me a bit. We were not told at anytime during the interview that ND's would be teaching.

Thoughts?

Ok as long as they are not teaching clinical courses. They approach things like infectious dz a lot differently than md/do/pa folks and often just give a random abx for something without actually understanding if one is needed or which abx is right. We have a local nd (whose pts end up in the er quite frequently....) who uses amoxicillin for everything; uti, abscess, pneumonia, etc...needless to say, a lot of these folks actually have a viral illness or if their illness is bacterial they need an abx with a different spectrum...

abx?? I thought ND's could not prescribe..... But I see your point and that is what concerns me too. I was ok for the most part with physiology being taught by ND but I think pathophysiology crosses the line or at least teeters very close to the edge. So far we have already heard about how "a lot allopaths over prescribe and many things can be managed taking a more natural approach, so I hope you all will be better than that". This was my first red flag.

<O:p</O:p

Ok as long as they are not teaching clinical courses. They approach things like infectious dz a lot differently than md/do/pa folks and often just give a random abx for something without actually understanding if one is needed or which abx is right. We have a local nd (whose pts end up in the er quite frequently....) who uses amoxicillin for everything; uti, abscess, pneumonia, etc...needless to say, a lot of these folks actually have a viral illness or if their illness is bacterial they need an abx with a different spectrum...

abx?? I thought ND's could not prescribe..... But I see your point and that is what concerns me too. I was ok for the most part with physiology being taught by ND but I think pathophysiology crosses the line or at least teeters very close to the edge. So far we have already heard about how "a lot allopaths over prescribe and many things can be managed taking a more natural approach, so I hope you all will be better than that". This was my first red flag.

<O:p</O:p

This is true. It happens and can happen often depending on your local physician community. I wouldn't use that against the ND. I would suggest you check out the curriculum at a few of the ND schools and see just how much education they actually have. I do agree they shouldn't be teaching medical/clinical courses, because we have a much different approach on treatment.

Archived