PA Owned Practice in New York State?

Has any Physician Assistant openned their own private practice in New York?  I understand the Physician Assistant / MD relationship and believe in it's sacredness both socially and professionally.  However, I do believe that, unless unlawful, a PA can own their own practice using an MD as medical director and maintain that sacred professional relationship between MD and PA.  Are there opinions out there and is there any advice to give?  I'm fairly certain that this is not a new topic of discussion.

it is illegal (when I looked in 2010)

There is a specific law that states a PA can not under any circumstances hire a Doc 

The only way i found it to be possible was to have a Federally Designated Rural Health Clinic where federal law might trump state law....

I agree with this. The only time I saw a midlevel run facility was in a rural health set up. I have heard of a PA who is being investigated here in California for hiring a doc to be her SP... and Medspas are also under scrutiny for having an MD as the director who has no knowledge of aesthetics or dermatology/plastic surgery. Be careful!

it is illegal (when I looked in 2010)

There is a specific law that states a PA can not under any circumstances hire a Doc

The only way i found it to be possible was to have a Federally Designated Rural Health Clinic where federal law might trump state law....

True.

Ken

simple search on this web site shows this

http://www.physicianassistantforum.com/index.php?/topic/5725-pa-practice-ownership-in-new-york-state/

if you do not believe those that have gone before then get out your checkbook and hire an attorney.  

I would suggest you poke around a little more on the web in the NYS DOH home page as the answers are clearly there

Also, NYSPAA has already answered your question - is you are a member check out their FAQ and it answers it.

I found it before when I was considering

If you are serious about owning you own practice you have to put the effort into finding the answer to your questions if you are not satisified with the answers here...... it will be the first of many very frustrating experiences for you......

I know nothing about NY state laws.  However, as a caveat, that before I started my practice here, I had to first hire an incorporation lawyer.  He had to carefully examine the law to make sure I could be the owner and the model of ownership (PLLC) would have no restrictions.  Only when my own lawyers gave me the 100% okay, did I go forward.  This first round cost about $1,000, but that is one of many, many fees and costs that you will "incur"  in the process. 

Archived