Reuse personal statement? If not, how did you start your mental process for writing yours?

I had applied two years ago and I'm pretty sure I had a really strong personal statement but long story short I did not get into any of the schools I applied to… since then I have taken time off to get more HCE hours and solidly finish my prereqs, two things I had lacking before.

Should I re-use the personal statement I had before or start from scratch?

I wouldn't use the same exact statement...especially if you are applying to the same schools. You've gained some experience which you may want to include in your statement. I also felt that my initial statement was pretty strong. I was granted an interview with it...but I "tweaked" it the second time I applied and it was even better. I know it's a daunting task but it well worth it.

You probably aren't the same person you were two years ago.

Your personal statement should not be just to check off another box; it is the only chance you have to convey anything subjective about yourself. It highlights whatever aspects about you and your experience that you think would sell you to the adcom to the point that you will get invited to an interview. It is a chance to go beyond high octane words about just how much being a PA would mean to you, or how Aunt Maude's illness taught you the importance of healthcare. 

A little of that is fine, but also tell them something about who you are, obstacles you've overcome, insight you have gained from your HCE, your ability to work with others, your sense of humor. Something other than your GPA and your GREs.

You probably aren't the same person you were two years ago.

Your personal statement should not be just to check off another box; it is the only chance you have to convey anything subjective about yourself. It highlights whatever aspects about you and your experience that you think would sell you to the adcom to the point that you will get invited to an interview. It is a chance to go beyond high octane words about just how much being a PA would mean to you, or how Aunt Maude's illness taught you the importance of healthcare. 

A little of that is fine, but also tell them something about who you are, obstacles you've overcome, insight you have gained from your HCE, your ability to work with others, your sense of humor. Something other than your GPA and your GREs.

If you haven't felt compelled to change your personal statement after two years of HCE, I question whether that HCE had any value.  After two years of working towards getting into PA school, you shouldn't be the same person anymore.

I agree with both your statements. The problem, and the only reason I think about using it again but tweaked as another poster mentioned is because what happened three years ago was so profound that it really is why I chose to work towards PA and that was hard to convey in 5000 characters let alone adding more about HCE to that...

I feel like if it's incomplete in either of those topics then it all collapses versus if I focus on one. I don't know I'm mostly nervous.

• Administrator

If the core of your personal statement is still true, then keep it.  But with the number of characters you're allowed today, there's plenty of room to update a statement.  While I advocate a complete rewrite, 90+% of your life is still the same after two years, so it's entirely reasonable to keep in the life-changing moments... but don't just recycle the whole thing.

Archived