Rotations with an MD?

I will be starting PA school in May at the Glenside campus. My question is whether students are allowed to preceptor with medical doctors for the second year, or is it only with PAs? My uncle is a family doc, and I would love to work with him especially since he is from my home-state and would provide a valuable site. I know it's a ways off and that I will be able to get more information when school starts, but if any current/previous student has experience with this, I would appreciate knowing whether it's even a possibility!

Don't know about your program specifically but ARC-PA Standards for PA Education directly state that clinical experiences must be with a physician (MD/DO) or PA. NPs can act as preceptors as well but I'm not sure if they can be primary preceptors. You're learning to be a PA and thus learning from PAs and physicians makes perfect sense.

the programs around here always designate an md as the preceptor of record even if a pa does 100% of the teaching and the doc never even meets the student.

I work solo nights at my regular job and take students. my sponsoring physician never works with me but is the preceptor of record for all my students even though they never meet them. I write the eval and do all teaching.

Archived