D in Physics

I got my final grades for the semester back and got a D in  calc-based Physics 1. I'm freaking out right now and trying to consider my odds of getting in a PA program at this point. This pushed my cumulative GPA down from a 3.38 to 3.25 and similarly with my science GPA. Instead of going up, my grades are declining.

I know Physics isn't a pre-req at most PA programs but CASPA still factors it into its GPA calculations, so it'll bring it down considerably.

What can I do at this point? I have 75 credits and need 126 for my degree, is it too late to bring it up to a 3.5? Should I retake Physics and ace the class this time? Would I have to mention/justify this grade in my personal statement?

do yourself a favor. if you retake do the algebra version. no one needs to take calc based physics unless they want to do engineering.

I took a yr of algebra based physics a decade ago or so when I was considering going back to medschool and really enjoyed it actually. better than any chem class I ever took.

. if it's good enough for med school it is good enough for pa school.

It likely is not as crucial as a D in bio 1 or another class that is a pre req for PA school, but as stated it isnt the best letter you want to see.

Are you planning on taking physics 2? If so you could make up for that D by improving in physics 2.

It has been my experience through interviews that most of them genuinely look at you as an entire person, which works well. We all have things we dont excel in. I wouldnt worry about it too much, just do your best to make the remainder of your application good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you don't need physics for schools you are planning to apply to then I wouldn't bother retaking it...I would focus on the rest of your major classes and prerequisites.....however, from my own PA interview experiences...you have a bad grade on your transcript (even if its like a C or B-) they will definitely ask about it! So start thinking of a good answer to why you received this D in physics....

Archived