Low HCE, should I wait a year to gain more?

I have about 400 hours of HCE from volunteering in an ER. I also have about 20 hours shadowing a PA. I am planning on applying for PA school this spring. My GPA will be about a 3.4. I know it would be beneficial to wait one more year and gain HCE and raise my GPA but I would rather apply this cycle if possible. I'm trying to decide if my chances of getting in this cycle are so low that I shouldn't waste my time and just wait for the next cycle. Opinions on this? 

I would not apply to such a program...I still believe significant HCE is the most important factor in any pa school application. I am ok with a 3.2 gpa and avg gre if you have good hce. 4.0 and zero hce with a perfect gre I would throw in the trash.

opinions will vary on this. mine is almost 30 years in the making regarding this issue.

I have to agree with the above. Getting good, paid HCE is the best thing you can do. You are exposed to so much that will be helpful along the application process, school and beyond. It sucks waiting no doubt, but if it's what you really want, then it's worth the year wait. 

Archived