Gout

Hello,

I am currently on my FM medicine but saw several cases of gout as a CNA and on a prior EM rotation.  Seems every provider I worked with was old school and went with colchicine.  Digging through charts, I saw a few other treatments - medrol dose pack and even one steroid injection.  The only thing I haven't seen is the ONE thing they taught us to use in school - an NSAID, either ibuprofen, naproxen or classically indomethacin.  I ask my providers and they tell me colchicine has always worked and they state it works better than NSAIDs, and that's why they use it.

Should the NSAIDs be first line?  Are these providers just sticking to their old habits?  Is a medrol dose pack or steroid injection appropriate in any case (if so, which)?  Thanks to all who chime in.

high dose NSAID 1rst

Colchicine if able - but ONLY 1-2 doses - no more take it till diarrhea 

Steroids if needed - and for those with CRF that can't take NSAIDs (more people then you think)

Sure stick a needle in it - get synovial fluid for analysis (to make Dx first time is most helpful) and put some steroids in - BUT remember the only true contraindication to joint injection is overlaying cellulitis.... and that is sometimes hard to distinguish....

So colchicine for just about everyone, then NSAID if okay, steroids if CRF

DRINK lots of fluid if they will tolerate it (no hx of CHF)

I agree with what everybody posted above (especially to not dose colchicine til you diarrhea).  Only thing not mentioned is,  don't use indomethacin.  It has one of the high side effect profiles/rate of all the NSAIDs.  Better to go with naproxen or ibuprofen.  

I am also a little hesistant to use high dose NSAIDs on a cardiac pt or a high-risk cardiac patient, although I am honestly not sure what the increased risk of a cardiac event is for a short-term course of NSAIDs.  

Oh, and make sure you switch out the thiazide or lasix for those patients with a hx of gout.  Don't know why so few providers don't catch that...

NSAIDs first line. Naproxen has safest cardio profile. If worries about GI bleed combine w PPI, it's only going to be for a few days anyway. If you have one joint, steroid injection into joint works well. Iv never had to use colchicine and I take care of gouty flares a lot.

Regarding the The diuretic, it's only hydrochlorothiazide that will increase uric acid levels and not lasix. Also, if they are on allopurinol, then the increase in uric acid is negligible. If you want to be nit picky, aspirin will also increase uric acid, but doubtful were gonna take people off those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NSAIDs first line. Naproxen has safest cardio profile. If worries about GI bleed combine w PPI, it's only going to be for a few days anyway. If you have one joint, steroid injection into joint works well. Iv never had to use colchicine and I take care of gouty flares a lot.

Regarding the The diuretic, it's only hydrochlorothiazide that will increase uric acid levels and not lasix. Also, if they are on allopurinol, then the increase in uric acid is negligible. If you want to be nit picky, aspirin will also increase uric acid, but doubtful were gonna take people off those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not true, loop diuretics, especially furosemide will increase risk of gout (don't know how much, though)

Archived