Attend Accelerated BSN or retake some classes?

I graduated with my bachelor of science degree in biology in May 2013. While in undergrad, I worked as a patient care tech, volunteered as an EMT and shadowed a PA. I know, for sure, that I want to be a PA. No doubt about it. I've been working toward this goal since 2008. My cumulative GPA, sadly, was a 2.90. Enough to get me one interview, but not enough to get me into PA school. I had a horrible time trying to manage working, volunteering and taking 16-18 credit course loads every semester, including summers.

I did decent in my pre-requisite courses (mostly Bs), but my grades in classes such as physics, pre-calculus, biochemistry and cell biology could use a lot of improvement. I also bombed some classes during my freshman year (geology and sociology, which I already retook).

My predicament: I was accepted into a well-respected 15 month accelerated BSN program that starts next May. I put a deposit down to hold my seat.

I've worked as a tech so I'm somewhat familiar with nursing and how it is a very different field from PA. I know I could get my FNP after nursing school, but I'm drawn to the medical model over the nursing model for many reasons. I've done a lot of research and feel as though I'd be more prepared to practice as a PA right out of school, than an NP right out of school (even with RN experience). I know for sure that I do not want a career as a bedside nurse. I strive to learn so much more and be able to help patients in capacities that an RN can't.

So my question is, what is better? Should I attend the BSN program, rock it and get a good cumulative GPA to show I can handle the intensity of an accelerated BSN? Work as an RN for a year while retaking a few classes, then apply to PA school? Would schools look down on me for going the nursing route first? Would it give me an advantage?

Or, should I skip the whole nursing route and just go back to school full-time for a few semesters to all of the classes I got less than a B in, shadow a few more PAs and get a 4.0 post-bacc GPA?

I'm starting to lose sleep over this and I'd really appreciate some advice.

EMEDPA, I greatly appreciate your input. I've heard that a lot of schools will question "Why do you want to go from RN to PA?" But I don't see it like that. I've always had PA in my heart so I don't feel like it's making a switch. What area would provide me with the best experience for PA school? Would a year in the ER as an RN be best?

I'm really leaning toward family medicine, women's health or sleep medicine/pulmonary medicine, but I'm sure I won't truly know which area I'd like to work in until I'm doing my rotations. I know it's rare to find jobs at a doctor's office as a new RN, but would that be more beneficial than a hospital job if that's where I'd like to end up?

Archived