Is becoming a Certified Nursing Assistant worth it

I came in USA few years ago. I wanted to become a nurse. But after doing some research I could learn that it’s too expensive for me right now. So I looked for some other alternatives. I learned that Certified Nursing Assistant could be a better option when money is a matter. It’s comparatively cheap and not time consuming. I could join a hospital or nursing home as soon as I pass the exam. I have already stated CNA practice exam from this site: http://freecnapracticetest.org/cna-practice-test/ . I may admit in CNA training course soon but I need some help. Is it really worth doing the course? I’m asking because all time I have to keep myself busy with disabled or aged patients, cleaning them up, taking care of them and so on. I don’t have any problem with all of that if the salary range is good. How is the salary range if I compare it with registered nurse?

CNAs make much less than RNs, which makes sense when you look at the education and training involved.  I took a three week course, took the test, and found a job in a hospital.  If you can land a hospital position, many have programs set up to help you towards a nursing education.  These typically support you financially (with maximums set per semester) and require you to commit to working for a period of time at that hospital once you're a registered nurse.  Just something you might consider looking into!   

Yes, you should become a CNA.  If you get into nursing school later you're going to have to do it anyway before you can go on clinical rotations.  Nursing schools are also very competitive, & they look favorably on those who are working as a CNA.  CNA is considered the bottom rung of the nursing ladder.  You have to climb your way up.

If you become a CNA and work, ive been a cna for 5+ years, nursing school makes a lot more sense a lot quicker. You will be able to retain info more so because youll have been exposed to it. I have classmates that have never stepped foot in a hospital and they're always confused and seem to struggle more so than those of us who are already CNA's. It will make you more confident nursing student.

I came in USA few years ago. I wanted to become a nurse. But after doing some research I could learn that it’s too expensive for me right now. So I looked for some other alternatives. I learned that Certified Nursing Assistant could be a better option when money is a matter. It’s comparatively cheap and not time consuming. I could join a hospital or nursing home as soon as I pass the exam. I have already stated CNA practice exam from this site: http://freecnapracticetest.org/cna-practice-test/ . I may admit in CNA training course soon but I need some help. Is it really worth doing the course? I’m asking because all time I have to keep myself busy with disabled or aged patients, cleaning them up, taking care of them and so on. I don’t have any problem with all of that if the salary range is good. How is the salary range if I compare it with registered nurse?

CNAs make very little money...I became a CNA after receiving my bachelor of arts degree in athletic training...CNA work is hard but rewarding...it allowed me to still work and gain healthcare experience after I left a full time athletic training position to go back to school full time in order to finish my prereqs for physician assistant school....If nursing is what you want to do then do that....Working as a CNA was the hardest thing that I have ever done, but like I said it was worth it....but its not for everyone...and the pay definitely does not reflect the work...it was not something I was going to do for the rest of my life...

• 2 weeks later...

I get paid $20 per visit, I work for a small home health agency. It's somewhat of a hassle considering no gas is paid, homes are near-by though, but it doesn't feel like a 9-5 type of job. One patient may take longer to deal with then I'm late to the next etc. It gets annoying, and my back is starting to kill me. 

A rhetorical question ... Why do CNA's get paid so little for all the hard labor they do? I understand a lot has to do with how much training/education is involved and how much accountability one has that goes with the job.

High unemployment with lots of people willing to do the job on the cheap (people hunting for experience or an in to other areas of the hospital).  A minimum wage that no one can survive on without food stamps and companies leveraging this so the goverment keeps their employees alive and working.  HR departments that delay hiring new employees as long as possible so the floors work short for as long as possible so HR can acquire a new employee for cheap as possible.  The best prospective employee isn't hired, the cheapest one is.

High unemployment with lots of people willing to do the job on the cheap (people hunting for experience or an in to other areas of the hospital).  A minimum wage that no one can survive on without food stamps and companies leveraging this so the goverment keeps their employees alive and working.  HR departments that delay hiring new employees as long as possible so the floors work short for as long as possible so HR can acquire a new employee for cheap as possible.  The best prospective employee isn't hired, the cheapest one is.

If this is true what you say (which I have no doubt) that is sad ... Seems then CNAs will never get ahead if that is the case. :-\

Archived