How does your school assign grades for clinical rotations?

My school recently started a new policy of using ExamMaster tests as 30% of your grade for each clinical rotation. The rest of the grade is made up of written assignments and preceptor evals. The tests are very difficult and averages hover around 65%. As a result, there have been very few A's earned this year. I was just wondering what systems other schools use to assign clerkship grades. How common are A's at your school?

The setup you describe is pretty common - some variation of 1/3 for an exam, 1/3 for a written assignment and 1/3 for a preceptor evalaution. We have our own post rotation examinations and scores usually run from mid-70s to mid-80s. Programs are also starting to the use the PAEA end of rotation exams. They quote average scores near what you quote for ExamMaster.

OMG these are horrible ratios! When I was in PA school the entire grade was preceptor eval. Best grades of my life as most will inflate grades on the clinical side.

Finishing med school now and grades are based on preceptor evals (100-pt scale) but for "core" rotations that require a shelf exam the preceptor eval is 70% and exam 30%. Not too bad overall.

Archived