Do you think a journey down the road to PA is worth it for me?

About me, I'm 31 years old, with a business undergrad background and very few science courses, and contemplating a big move to change my life. I don't currently work in healthcare but have volunteered and have friends in the industry. As time goes on, I'm getting more and more tired of the daily office thing and want to shake up my life. There has to be a higher purpose in life than what I'm doing!

The not so good; overall 3.2gpa with a 3.4 after I transferred to the University. D in intro to calc at the CC I originally went to and A at the University.

The only science related courses I've taken are Psychology(A) and Meteorology(A-).  So that leaves me with the full boat of prereqs. Let's assume GPA from those would be 3.7+, what kind of shape do you think I'd be in after this? My plan is to take a few of the courses at the local CC and most of the Bio's at the University and get my EMT Cert first thing. This is looking like a full load 3 semester journey, with a summer Chem thrown in. There's no way I could work full time. The backup would be Nursing school if I couldn't get into PA. I'm getting anxious thinking about this uphill battle and would appreciate an educated perspective. I'm not thrilled at the thought of nursing to be totally honest. Is this worth it? Do you think this battle is one worth fighting? Semi ridiculous questions but I'm just trying to be real, and I'm going to be left in the cold if it doesn't work out. Would love to hear any advice. Thanks  

I was in much the same situation when I started my journey. I was 26 years old, had a job as an EMT, a 3.2 GPA, and a degree that left me without a single science class to my name. I had a craving to feel like my job and my life was meaningful and a passion for anatomy, and that's where I started.

Over the course of five years, I chipped away at my prereqs and experienced life on a whole new plane as an inner city EMT, and now I'm proud to say I've been accepted into an excellent program and I'm excited to start in March!

Bottom line is this: if you've got the passion, the drive, and the means, go for it. You're never too old to change things up and experience life from a different perspective.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me. Good luck!

Check out the market for EMTs in your area.  Most hospitals around here are only using Paramedics not EMTs.  CNA is a better option around my area.

But yea, you should be good as long as you keep your science GPA over 3.4 and you get some HCE hours.  Don't worry about age,  I'm starting PA school next year at 44 years young…... 

It is great hearing about people making a change and starting out in a new direction. Don't worry about where you are now; just keep moving in the right direction. Take the classes, get the experience, and shadow. There is no better feeling than starting out on a journey to get where you want to be. Along the way, you'll learn a lot about yourself as well.

Best wishes!

You guys made me feel better, thanks. It's such a daunting task, almost feeling insurmountable, so it's very encouraging to read about similar stories and your successes. Congrats to all of you.

You are a exactly where I was 2 years ago. Now I'm into my 2nd session of PA school. It has absolutely been worth it!

Read these two posts:

http://www.physicianassistantforum.com/index.php?/topic/7183-i-did-it-you-can-too/#entry93944

Post #9

http://www.physicianassistantforum.com/index.php?/topic/4955-burnout-tips-on-dealing-with-it/

Were those accelerated courses from a CC or University? That is one insane schedule! And straight A's to boot...wow

I'm going to take some advice from you and continue environment scanning and then come up with the best gameplan. My nearest University is going to be a long process with the prerequisite system they have in place. For example, O chem 1 & 2 before taking Biochem or Genetics. I guess one immediate roadblock to a game plan is; what is considered acceptable at a CC? Some schools say "max 2 courses", while others "prefer to be taken at a 4yr science intensive program".

I took my classes that required labs at an accelerated program that's piggy backed on a chiropractic school. Classes were sat/sun from 8am-6pm x 4 weekends. There's a few of these programs that I saw both of which were in California. I also went to an accellerated EMT, EKG Tech, and Phlebotomy Program each were 1 month long. The classes that didn't require labs like psych, stats, genetics, and etc I took online while I was going to school during the weekends. This allowed me to maximize my schedule.

How do you know that you'll like medicine/nursing?  I'm not judging, just asking, as you're looking to spend a lot of time and money just to get to the application stage.  I'd advise getting your EMT/CNA and experience, so that you'll know if you enjoy patient care, before committing yourself to the profession.  Also, working full time while taking one class at a time will take a while, but will allow your HCE to expand rapidly.  I did that and can say that being able to get all A's in my pre-reqs (English major for undergrad) while obtaining >2000 hours HCE per year only strengthened my application.

Valid question, unfortunately I'm not sure I have a great answer at the moment. What I will say is that as you grow older, your feelings about life tend to change. For me, something is missing and I believe I'd be happier and live a more fulfilling life if I was in a role that actually contributed to the well being of other humans. The idea of having the knowledge and skills to help people in times of need is what is drawing me in this direction. So yeah, maybe I'm shooting from the hip, but I can't help but feel the need to investigate this further.

Steve,

I took a very similar path to you, but took some time doing it. Most of my life, I thought I was supposed to do big things for lots of people. I eventually learned that doing something for one person at a time gave me more satisfaction. Even filling an ice bag in the ER as a 38 year-old volunteer felt good. Later, I learned that dragging in the first-in bag with an EMS unit felt good too. Eventually I became a paramedic and later a PA. Several times every day I know exactly why I'm here.

On the other hand, the healthcare profession has its own set of downsides. I work extremely hard, compared to my earlier lives. There is the usual crap about any job that doesn't go away. Some people are hard to get along with and the paperwork doesn't stop, even in the world of electronic medical records.

Your vague feelings of wanting to help and the changes that you go through mentally as you age are spot-on with my experiences. But I do fear that your crash program to get to PA school quickly may have you climbing a ladder than that could, for you anyway, be leaning up against the wrong wall. That's why I am an advocate for taking your time. Take your classes, but maybe a little more slowly, so that you can have more face-to-face time with patients and see how it all feels. Also more face-to-face time with your family (if you have one). And probably a chance to make more money in your existing day job than you could as an EMT or CNA.

You are starting on a well-trod path. Don't be in too big a hurry; there is a lot to learn along the way, about medicine and about yourself.

Good luck.

Archived