Current scribe looking to go to PT aide position?

I currently work as a medical scribe and while I have learned a lot as far as roles of PA/docs, the standard flow of working as one, medical terminology, assessment etc. the job is starting to feel limited as far as I think I've maxed out in it.

My background mostly compliments being a PT aide for HCE as an exercise science graduate… is this a bad move to go from scribe to PT aide? I just want my app for this spring to have another dimension to it. While I have my EMT - the market is so saturated it is hard to get a job in (plus CNAs and medical assistants are taking all the clinic roles).

I was a PT aide for 10 years prior to PA school. I think it's great experience, especially the inpatient side. You care for people in the ICU, general floors, neuro rehab, etc and many hospitals utilize physical therapists for wound care and lymphedema. Ask questions. Dig deep into the medical problems of your patients. You can learn a lot.

I also think there is something to be said for the grunt work side of it. I think everyone should be required to wipe butts and clean up vomit as part of the pre-pa process. You'll get enough of that as an aide, but not so much that you want to pull your hair out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was a PT aide for 10 years prior to PA school. I think it's great experience, especially the inpatient side. You care for people in the ICU, general floors, neuro rehab, etc and many hospitals utilize physical therapists for wound care and lymphedema. Ask questions. Dig deep into the medical problems of your patients. You can learn a lot.

I also think there is something to be said for the grunt work side of it. I think everyone should be required to wipe butts and clean up vomit as part of the pre-pa process. You'll get enough of that as an aide, but not so much that you want to pull your hair out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for your input, looking for jobs in Denver now!

• 2 weeks later...

I am in a similar position as you. I have been a medical scribe for nearly one year and while it has been a great experience I do find myself wanting more direct interactions with patients. I am planning on taking the CNA test next month even though it will be difficult to leave my current team! I think being involved in patient care in two very different ways will make you a more well rounded candidate.

I've been working as a "Rehab Tech" in a long term acute care setting and I really couldn't be more thrilled with the experience. You get to tackle a very diverse caseload of very complicated, multifaceted diagnoses. You also get to do quite a bit more in the inpatient setting as regulations seem to be slightly less stringent. I also have worked in the outpatient setting and had quite the opposite experience. Lots of total knees, shoulders, and repetative ortho stuff. They also generally use you quite a bit less for the direct patient care element. Just my 2 cents. Hopefully all this experience looks good on the coming app!

Archived