MSI & MSII Online? OUM

So, I've been lurking around watching what happens with Oceania University of Medicine, in American Samoa. They successfully secured accreditation, and are listed under the WHO and the ECFMG, making their students eligible to take Step 1 of the USMLE. They have graduated a handful of US students that have successfully secured residencies and later licensing. One of them is an IM doc, Neeraj Mendiratta, who was a PA for a time before attending OUM and later finishing a US IM residency. The interesting thing is that students finish MS I & II via distance education, allowing you to stay home for the first two years, and then years III & IV are completed with rotations in the US and Samoa, as any other school would do. Also, the MCAT is waived for those that have been in practice for 5+ years. What do those of you that have been around the block a few times think of this?

the 3 yr lecom pa to do bridge is a much better option. no mcat required as of last month. flexible prereqs for PAs.

with the increasing # of u.s. medical grads, very few grads of programs such as this will secure a u.s. residency. no residency=no license. no license= no job.

sure, a british or australian grad probably can secure a u.s. residency but not an online, under the radar quasi- program such as this or any of the lower tier carib programs.

Good points guys, thanks. I was curious to see how OUM worked out a few years ago, but time will tell how things go from here. I did not know that LECOM dropped the MCAT requirement...I imagine that will make the place more attractive to a lot of folks, myself included. I love the PA profession, and PA school...call me a glutton for punishment, but I want to learn even more, so I have a keen interest in options for PAs to become docs. Also, naturally I support advances for our profession.

the MCAT removal at lecom is real but not yet updated on their website. I confirmed directly with the program director when I heard the rumor. also, they are very lenient with basic sci prereqs. I never took ochem but could meet their requirement by taking a single one quarter online 3 unit intro ochem course without lab from ucberkeley extension. I also confirmed this with the director.

Archived