Bachelor or Arts Vs. Bachelor of Science

I've heard a lot of mixed opinions on this topic. Some say bachelor of science makes you look like you worked harder (more science classes) but others say bachelor of arts makes you look more well rounded (more arts as well as science) as well as allowing more credits for languages (being bilingual in Spanish is a real plus, I've heard). What do you guys think? I'm a bachelor of arts biochem but I'm thinking about switching to science. The only difference is that I'd have to take P-chem and Analytical-chem which have the possibility of wrecking my gpa if I'm biting off more than I can handle. I'd also have to take more math. My sister, who is a pharmacist but knows a little bit about other professions, says that PA programs only really care that you got core prerequisite classes and earned good grades in them. What do you guys think?

At my particular university most people who went with the bachelor or arts did so because they couldn't pass their organics classes. But like your sister said there are TONS of people who get into PA school without having a BS. Just make sure all your pre-req classes are the best they can be and try to take a few of the recommended courses if you can. 

I think for the most part BA is a disadvantage because schools really do like to see more science hours than just the prereqs.  "Life experience" to make you more well rounded can come from a variety of places like volunteer work, clubs, hobbies to supplement the sciences. 

I personally do not believe in he whole mantra that people that are less intelligent or less able to handle hard coursework go into the liberal arts.  Myself for example: I consider myself to be fairly intelligent and ended up getting a music degree not because that's the only thing I could handle but because that is what I was interested in at the time.  When I began taking the science prereqs I found that I was able to excel at or near the top of the class in every course I took!  I don't say that to brag but just to illustrate that people that enter into BA programs can be just as capable.  If you do go the BA route just make sure to ace your prereqs and try to take some other supplemental courses. 

Like Patxnopeful1 said it is possible no matter what you do, I got accepted with a liberal arts degree. 

I don't think it's that big of a deal whether you get a BS or a BA. If you earn a BS you can show you are well-rounded by taking a lot of non-science courses and doing well. On the flip side, if you earn a BA you can show that you can handle science courses by taking more beyond your prereqs and getting good grades. Regardless of degree type you can always take Spanish classes, if that's something you're interested in.

It's kinda surprising to me though that you're a biochem major but it's a BA degree...but then again my sister is a business major going for a BS degree so I guess it's all relative.

I got my BA in biology and am currently a 2nd year PA student.  It does not matter at all.  I took the BA because I didn't want to take an extra semester of calculus.  I took a medical sociology class instead which was probably the best class I ever took in undergrad.  

Your sister is spot on.  And no it is not "easier" to get a BA vs BS.  As far as your degree goes, if you want to take pchem, go for it.  If not, don't.  It's not going to help you in PA school.  Also it's unlikely you will become bilingual with a year of Spanish but I do think it'd look great on your application.  On the other hand you could take any other class instead, up to you.

It really doesn't matter.  Do what you want, get a degree, keep GPA as high as possible, meet pre-reqs, and that's it.  I am not trying to be rude but I feel the people here saying BS > BA don't know what they're talking about (sorry).  

I really don't think it matters as long as you did really well with your prerequisite classes. I majored in art/art history and received 6 interviews, and 2 acceptances so far. I definitely wouldn't stress about it--you should do what you feel is best for your education!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From the limited admissions experience of one program I can tell you it does not matter to us.

PA programs are very interested in outcomes. If their outcomes data demonstrated that BA students had higher attrition rates or lower PANCE pass rates you can bet schools would say they require a BS. There might be some schools out there that do, but I do not know of any.

Every person has spoken from their own experience with the OP's question. So for you to say people don't know what they're talking about is in fact kind of rude.

I am in no means trying to be a jerk and apologize if I offended you.  I am just trying to prove my point, and give the OP what I feel is the most accurate answer to his or her question.  Statements like:

"At my particular university most people who went with the bachelor or arts did so because they couldn't pass their organics classes"

are simply incorrect, because a BA in biology or biomed still requires a year of organic chemistry. A BA in biology (as well as a BS) still requires a year of biochemistry.  etc etc; the only difference in my degree was an extra semester of calculus (for a BA I took a semester of calc, and for a BS I would've had to have taken 2).

Also, if you read closely, seems like most of us advocating for BA=BS are already in PA school vs a pre-PA.  Anyway, I am not trying to be rude, and maybe I'm wrong and some schools really do care about the BS, but honestly, I highly doubt it, and don't want the OP to suffer through classes he/she hates based on a pre-PAs opinion which I, from what I consider more thorough experience (ie interviewing at several PA schools and being a PA-S), to be flat out incorrect.  Just my 2 cents.

Thank you all very much for your opinions. They are well appreciated. I understand that I can do a Spanish minor with a bachelor of  science but it makes more sense for me to do bachelor of arts because, at my college, they require two classes of language anyway. I'm aiming to not have to be a fifth years senior or spend more than I need to on classes.

Like I said at my particular university that is how it goes. I have a BS and wasn't required to take biochem and the BA didn't need ochem. You cant assume you know everything about every university. And in fact I've interviewed at several schools and have been accepted so you claiming you have more knowledge than me based on that is completely false. And if you look closely half the people who commented are in fact "pre-pa". That doesn't make anyone's response less helpful then yours. I never said that I thought a bs was more valuable than a BA and in fact I stated that "tons of people get in without a BS." You have absolutely no idea about my background and have no right to say you have more thorough experience then me and therefore what I say holds no merit.

I was unaware there were BA degrees for the sciences and thought they were all BS degrees, shows how much I know!  I retract my previous comment about that.  I only meant to say that any non-science degree (english, music, drama, journalism, etc...) could make for a slight disadvantage for some programs. 

I was unable to gain an interview for a few of the programs I applied to because I didn't not have the number of science credits that they wanted or any upper division science, even though I had completed the prereqs!  That's when a science degree of some sort is advantageous. 

Chose your programs wisely and cater your application to them, keeping in constant contact with admissions departments can really help.

Archived