orthopedic specialty/training as PA in military

Hi,

I'm sorry if this has been discussed before, I scrolled through a few pages and didn't see this specifically addressed.  I am wondering if you can have a guaranteed specialty written into your contract when joining the military.  I am currently in my clinical year and am rotating at an airforce base which has peaked my curiosity.  Obviously MD's completing residencies will be assigned to their specialty but I was wondering if PA's, having no "specialty" after their schooling, can choose a specific field to work in.  I know with enlisting and even some officers you choose a few jobs or field you are interested in and the military assigns you a position.  Which may or may not be exactly where you hoped to end up.

So if I were join (active duty, reserve, or guard) could I request a specific field of medicine and have that guaranteed even though I am straight out of school?  I obviously would require extra on-the-job training or a residency-like program for the first year or so.  Is it possible that I join and they stick me where ever there is a shortage, like family practice or OB/GYN?  I'm not uninterested in those fields, I am enjoying all my educational experiences but I would prefer some specialties over others.

thanks! 

As a new grad, you'll meet the needs of the military. If you had significant experience in a certain area, I'm sure that would be taken into consideration by the command. Otherwise you could join and complete a military ortho residency and then be given utilization tours and specific billets for ortho from my understanding.

the military runs Doctorate level residencies for PAs in em and ortho in conjunction with baylor university.

I'm sure you know this, but that is for Army only, maybe AF now too, but Navy has it's own residencies and they are not doctorates yet. Ortho is at Portsmouth, VA and the naval hospital and EM is at San Diego. Doctorate is being worked on though, as well as increasing 2 more EM slots at Walter Reed.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I actually recently separated from recruiting with the USN. You can do a fellowship - there are 3 currently and I believe they are working to add 2 more. Ortho surgery, ER, FP and then flight surgery and undersea medicine are still pending last time I checked. You have to do your first tour before you are even considered for a fellowship. With the Navy you can always apply but its never guaranteed. Secondly, if you are doing the reserves you cannot apply for a fellowship, you have to come into the navy with the specialty you are currently practicing. If you have specific questions shoot me a message I would be more then happy to answer any of them for you!! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I actually recently separated from recruiting with the USN. You can do a fellowship - there are 3 currently and I believe they are working to add 2 more. Ortho surgery, ER, FP and then flight surgery and undersea medicine are still pending last time I checked. You have to do your first tour before you are even considered for a fellowship. With the Navy you can always apply but its never guaranteed. Secondly, if you are doing the reserves you cannot apply for a fellowship, you have to come into the navy with the specialty you are currently practicing. If you have specific questions shoot me a message I would be more then happy to answer any of them for you!! :)

There are actually only two PA fellowships in the Navy:  Orthopedic Surgery (12 months at Naval Medical Center Portsmouth) & Emergency Medicine (18 months at Naval Medical Center San Diego).  There is no Family Medicine fellowship.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived