thank you email or letter

I interviewed at 4 schools. I felt a really good connection with a couple of the interviewers at one of the schools and sent thank you emails. 10 days later I got an acceptance call. This school had jumped to the top of my list anyway, but it was the only acceptance I got (2 wait list, 1 rejection). I certainly don't think it could hurt.

EDIT: misread the original post. There's my story anyway!!

Just do it -- and do it quickly. You should shoot for sending out your thank-you letters within 24 hours of your interview -- and no longer than about two or three days afterward. If you have a hard time composing letters and are tempted to not write any, fight that urge and force yourself to write something. Studies continue to show that the vast majority of people who do NOT send thank-you letters and that by doing so, you WILL stand out from the other applicants who do not send thank-you letters. As for style and delivery method -- where speed is of utmost importance, either email your thank-you letters or drop them off the next day. As for handwritten or keystroked -- it's more a matter of personal preference, though some feel a typed letter is more professional than a hand-written one.

Archived