Is it worth the extra money

I'm in a little dilemma.  I have been accepted to a few different schools and recently received an interview invite to another school that specializes in surgery.  Surgery is something that has always intrigued me; however, because I am an out-of-state applicant it is roughly 60-70,000 dollars more than other schools (135,000+).  According to their webpage, they say that most of their students find jobs in a surgical setting due to their emphasis in surgery rather than family practice like most schools.  I know there are multiple residency programs for post-pa grad students as well as the PA profession is becoming much more specialized.  When I shadowed multiple different PA's, they generally all said to find a school that is cheap and has a good PANCE rate.  I just wanted to ask for everyone's input on whether they thought that paying the extra money to specialize in surgery is worth it in the end?  I appreciate the advice.

Not only no but hell no.  You have GOT to be kidding me with that price tag.  This is bordering on a scam.  Also I don't think you will have any trouble getting a job in surgery graduating from any school.  

Besides if you are really motivated, it would be much cheaper and MUCH more of an advantage (IMHO) to complete a PA surgical residency once out of school.

Seriously 135K, that is freaking ridiculous.  And what happens if you end up not wanting to do surgery after all?  Again, you can get a surg job after graduating from any school.  Please do not throw your money away, you will beat yourself up for it for years as you pay it back.

Archived