Looking For A Response In Regards To Being Considered

Hello,

I posted this in a few areas here and across the interent and have not received a response. I would like to get an idea of my chances at being considered a good applicant for PA school when I apply next year, and what I can do to improve those greatly.

My undergraduate GPA was a little above a 3.0 due to grade forgiveness, however without grade forgiveness as CASPA will calculate, it is probably between a 2.75 and a 3.0 (retook organic chemistry 2, but received Bs or higher in upper level microbiology classes, anatomy, physiology and immunology). My grades were bad as an undergraduate because I lost both my parents during that time and I was left on my own with no help or support from anyone.

However, my postbac consisted of Biochemistry, Clinical Biochemistry, Diagnostic Microbiology, Forensic Chemistry, Virology, Mycology, Parasitology, and some animal classes that left me with a post bac GPA greater than 3.75. I am currently working on my MPH and at the moment have a 4.0. I will have 2 semesters completed of MPH work by the time I apply.

In regards to HCE, my dad was a surgeon, so I grew up in a healthcare setting with a lot of healthcare experience. In addition, I have shadowed a family practice physician for 135 hours, I worked as a patient transporter/EKG tech for about 3000 hours at a hospital, before I was hired at the hospital, I volunteered there for around 100 hours as a patient transporter. In addition, I have received a Colorado QMAP certification, but I have not pursued a job with that. I am currently looking for a PA to shadow, but have had no luck.

In addition my current GRE is 152 verbal, 150 quantitative, 4.0 writing. I plan on retaking until at least >157 in both sections.

Thank you

Let me start off by saying, I am sorry for your lose. I think you have good direct patient care experience and I would continue to accrue hours in this area. With regards to your grades, I think it really depends on where you want to go. Programs typically admit in-state applicants at a higher frequency than out-state applicants. So I would attend informational sessions and speak with staff member about your qualifications and ask specifically what's needed to boost your application. Showing improved grades over the course of your journey goes a long way. That said, some programs have a minimum GPA as calculated by CASPA and applying to those programs may be a waste of money and time. Shadowing a PA is important and therefore I would make shadowing a priority. Hope this helps.

Calculate your undergrad GPA including all classes towards your degree as well as all post-bacc undergrad level courses. This is how CASPA will calculate it and this is the # that schools will see as your GPA and use as the "cutoff" number when sorting through the hundreds to thousands of apps they receive.

First of all, I am impressed with your ability to overcome obstacles and follow a plan to reach your objective. If you come across as well in person and you did in your message, I suspect that you will get in somewhere. I am particularly impressed by what you have done to overcome your earlier grades. Life is not like a figure skating contest: fall one time and you can't win. Some of the best people you meet are ones that persevered.

In addition to the suggestions by newbeginning, I suggest that you make appointments to visit some programs that you are interested in. You will get a chance to talk with the clinical coordinator, make sure your classes match up against their requirements, and get them to see you as more than another piece of paper. 

Best of luck.

Archived