PA Residency?

I’m not a PA student yet, but currently have my applicationout to several schools. I have worked in EM for several years in a semi rural EDdoing various jobs, and was blessed to work along side of some articulate andextremely knowledgeable PA’s. One of them happened to helped with a large portion of the Trauma's and haddone a residency with an emphasis in Ortho. Although the majority of the otherPA’s working in the ED hadn’t, but they seemed just as skilled as the residencytrained PA. The only noticeable difference was they were several years older,but the residency trained PA was in his young 30’s. So I was curious as a pre PA student howbeneficial is doing a residency (is itsomething to consider while going through a program)? All the PA’s I’ve workedwith (one with a residency and the rest without) have been great. Does it give a younger PA an accelerated experience dealing with issues pertaining to the specialty? Or is a residency geared toward PA’s that haveworked a few years and decided to go back and gain greater knowledge andautonomy in a particular area of medicine (would it be frowned upon if new gradsgo into one shortly after graduating)? I figured I would post this on theprofessional PA thread to get some feedback. So in your professional opinion isdoing a residency worth it? What are the major benefits, and/or drawbacks ofdoing one? How much more beneficial is it to do a residency then just beingtrained as a new grad right out of school?

Yes. Yes. Yes.

Search the forum on residencies ( see especially the dialogs involving emedpa). If you have a residency, a CAQ, or both, you will be more comfortable handling sick patients tan you would without them, at least until. You get some years of experience.

Emedpa's contention is that, without these, you may have problems getting credentialed at the hospitals in which you want to work.

This is a "hot" topic in our field.. Research the forum

yup, do a residency. I think every new grad today should and think it is likely that at some point it will be required.

there is a subforum here on pa residencies, well worth looking through especially threads by folks done while in residency. find those posts by true anomaly for example.

If you read my posts about my experience, you know what I think as well about your answer. Suffice it to say that I believe both new grads and those more experienced PA's (who demonstrate a true desire to go into a specialty) have much to gain by doing a residency.

CURRENTLY, I do not feel they should be required- I still believe if you're able to get the knowledge and practical experience to be a competent ED provider in other ways, then that's awesome. I believe residencies should be available to those who want them and that each program meets a minimum standard as to how they provide their educations so that we all know what kind of product these programs put out.

Docs went through a pattern of initial school only ok, then internship, then residency, then board exams.

we are mirroring this. docs are used to do a residency, take an exam. they want us to do the same and as our "bosses" will make it happen.

I know that, and I agree the likelihood of it being required is creeping ever closer. I still don't agree that it should be at this time.

Docs went through a pattern of initial school only ok, then internship, then residency, then board exams.

we are mirroring this. docs are used to do a residency, take an exam. they want us to do the same and as our "bosses" will make it happen.

besides that

it is good for the patients as well!!

I have more then once sent a patient to the ER for things like an acute swollen arm in a HS female volleyball player and the new grad PA (my local ER tends to only be able to hire new grads due to the set up) NEVER even thought about DVT or TOS...... down right scary - many times these new grads have 1-2 years of flying by the seat of their pants where it appears patient care suffers...... I personally think it is overconfidence and cockyness of the PA leadership (who had no idea of what it is like in the trenches) that is left us with this resistance to residency and fellowships.... why on earth would we think that 6 semesters of PA school (general education) is anything like 4 years of medical school and 3 years of full time residency?? they are not interchangable and they should not be presented as such..... There are however some AMAZING PAs out there that have truly equaled their SP - - - however the fact remains a new grad PA is not ready to function as a more "independent" role that the modern health care system has created for PAs. Used to be Doc would hire a PA and let them grow and learn under them, now it is just "hire a PA and turn them loose" this is not good for patient care......

I created by own residency of sorts having working in numerous different fields..... would have been easier, nicer, faster and likely better to have a 1-2 year residency/fellowship instead.....

PA is a great field, but we are not ready to take on the huge responsiblity of being a independent in the daily sense (not legal sense) health care provider on graduation...... fellowships would go a long way to correcting this defeciency and place us well for the future!

just my opinion....

Archived