Need opinion on job offer

I recently got a Neurosurgery offer with base salary of $106K at a private practice in the Atlanta, GA area. No production/incentive bonus or sign on bonus. They offer health insurance, CME, professional dues and such. Since it's only a 20 employee company there is no 401K but they are working on getting it. The office has it's own surgery center/MRI/xray where the surgeon operates and runs clinic (with one PA) 3 days/week. The surgeon operates at the hospital 2 days/week. There is no ER call for this job, only clinic call. My duties will include everything from being first assist to rounding on inpatients to running clinic.

I have 4.5 years of experience working as a Neurosurgery PA and feel that this is a really low offer. However, according to the employer this is the "going rate in the Atlanta area". FYI: The surgeon has been practicing for over 25 years but just started his own practice 3 years ago. So per management "they are still building themselves and don't have a huge budget". I had a dinner interview with the surgeon and the office manager which went really well and I could see myself working here.

I don't know too many Nsgy PAs in the area since I just moved from out of state so can't compare. I was able to connect with one Nsgy PA and according to him someone with my experience should make around $120K especially if there is no bonus structure.

I have 2 interventional pain management offers for $120K plus bennies plus upto $10K production bonus/year and a great schedule M-F 8:30-4:30 but my heart really lies with Neurosurgery. At the same time I don't want to take something this low and just want an offer which is fair and reasonable for my experience.

What do you guys think? Any input will be appreciated! BTW their initial offer was $100K and they came up $106K.

Thanks!

Only you can answer this question.

You relocated to hotlanta for a reason: family, location, etc.

The job, wasn't what brought you there.

However, you seem to really like nsgy. If you are like me, sometimes I forgo a higher salary for higher job satisfaction.

Sounds like you really would not like interventional pain management...regardless of the salary.

If the finances are not so critical that you cannot get along on 100k, then stay with your heart and try to grow the practice ( and your salary) with the neurosurgeon .

That's what I would do anyway.

Archived