Burnout Study

All,

I am in the process of putting together a study on burnout. This has been in the works for several months. I've noted an uptick in the threads here regarding this topic.

If you are an AAPA member, and if my funding comes through, you may be receiving a survey about this. PLEASE, PLEASE fill it out. There will also be a section on wellness, which may be used to pilot a self reported wellness pilot. Interestingly, when the same methodology was used in physicians, they overwhelmingly THOUGHT that they were doing "pretty good", but when their questions were actually analyzed, they really weren't.

At any rate, I'm still waiting to hear on the funding at this point, but please help ALL of us out if you get this. This is as much for all PAs as it is for me.

Mike

I think something you need to address in this is transient vs chronic burnout.

last month I worked 224 hrs at 3 different places in 2 states while taking a doctoral level stats course. I felt pretty burned out and my compassion may have flagged a bit. I yelled at a tweaking meth addict who kept calling 911 from her room because we weren't seeing her "fast enough" for her "sinus infection" and had security take her phone away. normally that wouldn't bug me but on a busy night having the 911 operator repeatedly calling me back and asking me if there was a true emergency in room 10 that required a 911 response I got a little irate and told the lady that her behavior might be killing someone's grandfather out there who had a real emergency......

this month down to a more reasonable 191 hours I feel more like a rational human being and would be less likely to describe myself as burned out.

I would argue that you might miss an important and possibly statistically significant population of PA's by using AAPA as your sole method of collecting data. I would say those who are not members of AAPA, might be apathetic and not optimistic about the potential for future change (improvement) spearheaded by AAPA and choose not to provide funds (become members). This general outlook could be a primer or contributing factor for burnout.

• Administrator
I would argue that you might miss an important and possibly statistically significant population of PA's by using AAPA as your sole method of collecting data. I would say those who are not members of AAPA, might be apathetic and not optimistic about the potential for future change (improvement) spearheaded by AAPA and choose not to provide funds (become members). This general outlook could be a primer or contributing factor for burnout.

+1. By the time your study starts, I will not likely still be an AAPA member.

Archived