Any personal trainers here?

Hey everyone,

Does anyone know of any schools that count personal training as HCE? While I'm not relying upon my experience as a personal trainer, I figured it would be a nice bonus if some schools counted it towards patient care hours. I'm sure it's one of those things thats good to have in addition to other work but if anyone could share their experiences that would be great.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I am an athletic trainer with over 12k hours of experience. I am also a "wellness coordinator" for the clinic I work for and I develop exercise routines for our employees. As the Head ATC for a minor league baseball team, I have developed strength and conditioning programs for each of our players. Every program I have applied to has accepted my athletic training hours as direct HCE, but THAT scope of practice is very different than my personal training/strength coach work. My programs seem to look at that as more "extra curricular" type work. One program that I have applied to has stressed preventative medicine and overall wellness of the patient population. We talked a bit about my experience in this arena during my interview. Good luck! :)

• 4 months later...

I'm right there with you with personal training as health care as experience as most of my hours are coming from this (4 years).

Some schools do accept it as a valid form of HCE; one close to me is the Towson/CCBC program in Maryland. Other schools however do not. For this reason I have also worked as a Chiropractic Assistant and am going to be working as a PT Aide this semester to diversify my HCE.

I will be applying this cycle so I can let you know how it goes!

Hey everyone,

Does anyone know of any schools that count personal training as HCE? While I'm not relying upon my experience as a personal trainer, I figured it would be a nice bonus if some schools counted it towards patient care hours. I'm sure it's one of those things thats good to have in addition to other work but if anyone could share their experiences that would be great.

Thanks!

I highly doubt it

I am an athletic trainer with over 12k hours of experience. I am also a "wellness coordinator" for the clinic I work for and I develop exercise routines for our employees. As the Head ATC for a minor league baseball team, I have developed strength and conditioning programs for each of our players. Every program I have applied to has accepted my athletic training hours as direct HCE, but THAT scope of practice is very different than my personal training/strength coach work. My programs seem to look at that as more "extra curricular" type work. One program that I have applied to has stressed preventative medicine and overall wellness of the patient population. We talked a bit about my experience in this arena during my interview. Good luck! :)

Well said! Athletic training is not personal training and vice versa! :-)

I do believe it depends on the program; however, I applied this cycle and was accepted to 2 of 3 schools here in Texas.  I have been a personal trainer for 8 years and many people don't realize how much actual contact you have with a client until you have actually trained someone.  Also, as a trainer you have to know how to interact and communicate effectively with people, which will obviously help in the PA field. 

Unfortunately, a lot of people think that trainers just take an online course and can be quickly certified without having adequate knowledge or that they walk around a gym cleaning machines and talking to members to try and make a sale.  Even though this does happen, there is also another side to this field.  Personally, I obtained a degree in kinesiology/nutrition as well as a PT certification since it was something I was passionate about.  I have worked in a private studio where I see about 30 clients weekly on a one-on-one basis.  With some of my clients who have injuries, I have to communicate with their doctor and/or physical therapist in order to design appropriate and effective programs.  Also, I do basic nutrition counseling with some clients as well.

I am saying all of this because this is how I presented myself in my personal statement and interview.  They were able to get more of an idea of what I actually did which I think helped.  If you can go into detail and explain yourself, I think having the personal training experience will be helpful.  We don't just stand around and count repetitions of exercises - there is a whole lot more to it.  I stressed to the programs that even though it may not technically be "clinical" experience it is definitely "people" experience.  Anyway, sorry to ramble, I just wanted to share my 2 cents since I was in the same exact boat as you this time last year, and did not get many responses.

Hope this helps!

Archived