Programs that don't make you relocate?

I went to Marietta and most of my classmates did not travel far. If you stayed on campus, you might have to move an hour away to a VA facility with housing available. I moved back home to Columbus and never traveled more than an hour from home for a rotation. I think I slept in the hospital one night during my surgery rotation. Otherwise, I was in my own bed.

I'm sure there are other places like that. On the other hand, as more programs come on line, it will likely be harder to find clinical sites.

Good luck!

Most of the programs I applied to would do their best to keep you nearby if you had a family. Do expect to have to travel for one or two rotations, especially if a rural rotation is required, but even those might just involve a long commute if you so desired. Where I am now, you request your home base for your rotations (there are four options) and they will do their best to keep you there, especially if you have extenuating circumstances, like children.

I'd suggest you look at schools that are attached to large teaching hospitals, because they will place many of their students at their hospital.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived