Night Shift for CNA?

Hi,

Would night shift work as a CNA look less desirable to adcoms than day shift work? I'm figuring working the night shift will afford me more opportunity to take the two prereqs that I still need during the day (anatomy and biochem). Unless there's a better way to do it?

Thanks

Currently work nights full-time as a CNA at a busy hospital and I love it. I also took pre-reqs during this schedule and it was fine. Just as busy as day shift and sometimes even busier with admits from the ED, especially on the weekends. Like Friction said it truly is a tighter crew at night and more of a team atmosphere.

Thank you, all. Are night shifts easier to obtain than day shifts? I'm assuming that day shifts are generally more desirable?

Just depends on staffing needs and what you want really... for some days are obviously more desirable because they have spouses and/or kids. Being that I was single with no dependents, I had no problem pulling nights. Plus, you usually get a a little extra money (18% an hour) from shift differential and its generally easier to pick up overtime shifts.

I didn't know adcoms even asked or needed to know what shift we worked..don't see how that's of any importance. But anyways I did it for a year and loved how light the workload was but hated not sleeping at night. All I did was vitals and answer call lights. During the day u have to do baths, change beds, feed patients, and everything else nurses don't feel like doing. Plus at night nurses have more free time usually and are more willing to teach u stuff

• 2 months later...

I did more working nights than most day shift workers because at night they only had two CNAs and one nurse working (versus like 3x that number during the day shift)....so I had a lot more residents on my schedule than the day shift workers....and anyone who works the night shift at a hospital or nursing home knows...the night shift is anything but quiet lol ;-)

I didn't know adcoms even asked or needed to know what shift we worked..don't see how that's of any importance. But anyways I did it for a year and loved how light the workload was but hated not sleeping at night. All I did was vitals and answer call lights. During the day u have to do baths, change beds, feed patients, and everything else nurses don't feel like doing. Plus at night nurses have more free time usually and are more willing to teach u stuff

These kinds of tasks are part of the reason why I would rather not work as a CNA, LOL. Does anyone know of any entry-level positions other than being a CNA that someone can do for HCE? Rehab/PT aide and pharmacy tech are the only other two I'm familiar with, but it seems like the facilities in my area are only looking for CNA's....

No it won't. On CASPA your not even asked what shift you work. If anything the school will find out after you get accepted. I worked night shift for a year and it's the best shift in my opinion because the work load is light and the nurses have more time to teach you useful skills

These kinds of tasks are part of the reason why I would rather not work as a CNA, LOL. Does anyone know of any entry-level positions other than being a CNA that someone can do for HCE? Rehab/PT aide and pharmacy tech are the only other two I'm familiar with, but it seems like the facilities in my area are only looking for CNA's....

You wipe your own ass, shower yourself, and make your own bed everyday.  It's not a big deal.  Home Health Aide/CNA/EMT/Paramedic/PT aide/MA/ER Techs/and I've heard athletic trainer can possibly work.  There are, of course, other less mainstream HCE available.

You wipe your own ass, shower yourself, and make your own bed everyday.  It's not a big deal.  Home Health Aide/CNA/EMT/Paramedic/PT aide/MA/ER Techs/and I've heard athletic trainer can possibly work.  There are, of course, other less mainstream HCE available.

Athletic training works at most schools (just make sure to check at what schools you are applying to)...but its a 4 year degree so it is definitely more schooling than CNA, MA, or EMT....and PT tech doesn't take any schooling because I have worked as that along with being an athletic trainer and a CNA

Athletic training works at most schools (just make sure to check at what schools you are applying to)...but its a 4 year degree so it is definitely more schooling than CNA, MA, or EMT....and PT tech doesn't take any schooling because I have worked as that along with being an athletic trainer and a CNA

Yeah, it seems like being a PT/rehab aide is a good (temporary) way to gain HCE. I currently have my resume on file with the local hospitals and PT groups in case anything opens up. I'll also check into medical assisting jobs. 

Yeah, it seems like being a PT/rehab aide is a good (temporary) way to gain HCE. I currently have my resume on file with the local hospitals and PT groups in case anything opens up. I'll also check into medical assisting jobs.

In my background, being a PT tech or rehab aid was a nice way to gain some experience and boost my resume...like I said no schooling, little training, etc. However, I was able to get several PT tech jobs because of connections I had through athletic training as an undergrad....I would just keep sending out your resume! You'll get something!!

In my background, being a PT tech or rehab aid was a nice way to gain some experience and boost my resume...like I said no schooling, little training, etc. However, I was able to get several PT tech jobs because of connections I had through athletic training as an undergrad....I would just keep sending out your resume! You'll get something!!

Thanks! Right now, the local PT groups say they're "full," but I try to keep in touch with them on a fairly regular basis. 

What is the general consensus by most programs regarding whether experience as a pharmacy tech counts as HCE? There are several PRN pharm. tech jobs posted by the hospitals in my area, so I definitely could work one of those positions into my schedule. But do the majority of PA programs consider it to be legitimate experience? 

I thought being a pharm tech required a certificate (I could be wrong though)...I think it would be nice experience, but I am not sure it would count as HCE because you wouldn't be working directly with patients....the schools that I have interviewed at said they prefer jobs where you make relationships with your patients or residents...

Archived