New petition please sign

I think a whitehouse.gov petition would be effective, but it requires something like 60,000 signatures for a response. I don't even think that many PAs vote in elections. Would be very difficult to achieve. This way it can be signed and presented to the proper people at IOM. Just my logic.

It's not about presenting it to people at the IOM. It's about HHS funding a study. The IOM study on the "Future of Nursing" was sponsored by the RWJF, even though it was conducted by the IOM. It cost 1.3 million dollars.

A study on PAs would be smaller, but would still likely cost in the 500k range.

You have to remember....there has never been a PA elected as a member of the IOM. Dave Asprey from Iowa is probably the closest, as he is working with the IOM.....Rod Hooker I believe has also been nominated in the past, but never elected. Meanwhile, many, many PhD RNs HAVE been elected. Mary Mundinger among them.

When I talk about the problems associated with our profession ignoring research and not developing and producing top notch researchers, this is why.

The IOM can do any study...with the right funding. They will not do a study for free.....

This is a great initiative, and I support the thoughts behind it, but I fear that HHS will not. For one reason.

WHAT ARE WE ASKING????? What question are we trying to answer? Are we just trying to say PAs are good too? There is no funding agency that will pay for that....

At the end of the day, we have to be able to answer TWO questions before pursuing funding....

1. Why do we need this done? What question needs to be answered?

2. The hardest one.....IF we do answer that question...SO WHAT? Who cares? Why should anyone care?

You need to be able to answer both of those, and articulate those answers well. Merely wanting a study to say PAs are great simply won't ever happen.

Psst..It wasn't the purpose of the nursing study either, which was more focused on nursing education, supply, practice, and workforce projections.....NPs were only part of that study.

Agree that someone needs to pay for it but "PAs are great" isn't the goal. the goal is " PAs are underutilized and hampered by overly restrictive regulations at the state and facility level".

I would like aapa to pay for this...should cost less than the rn study which looked at all types of nurses in all settings

AAPA should pay for it and they should have plenty of money from dues. If not, then each person who gets paid a salary should get furloughed one day a week and their salary put towards the study. Including the CEO.

Agree that someone needs to pay for it but "PAs are great" isn't the goal. the goal is " PAs are underutilized and hampered by overly restrictive regulations at the state and facility level".

I would like aapa to pay for this...should cost less than the rn study which looked at all types of nurses in all settings

I agree, it should cost less, but will still be expensive. I am submitting an AHRQ grant right now to study one aspect of PA/NP cre nationally..and the costs are at 70k estimated....that's one small study. I think this is a good initiative, but to play Devil's Advocate....

So what if PAs are underutilized....so what? Should we care?

Also, remember, you cannot ask the question with a pre-determined answer. You used the term goal....where question might be better...

Also, What if the IOM comes back and says that PAs are not underutilized or hampered by restrictions, and that because of our dependent practice nature, changes are not recommended.???

What if they say that? Not saying that they will, but you don't really know what comes out......

So what if PAs are underutilized....so what? Should we care?

Also, What if the IOM comes back and says that PAs are not underutilized or hampered by restrictions, and that because of our dependent practice nature, changes are not recommended.???

What if they say that? Not saying that they will, but you don't really know what comes out......

I know we can't direct their study and go searching for an answer but I would be willing to wager findings for PAs would be similar to NP's. the NPs have parlayed their study results into multiple state laws improving their practice. if we had a favorable result from the study it would be my hope that we could do the same. it would give us "ammunituion" if you will to approach legislators and say "look, we can do this and we are being underutilized". if the study was not helpful we are no worse off then we are right now with everyone thinking we are incompetent medical assistants despite an educational process which is more similar to physicians than anything else out there(NPs included)..remember the study a few years ago which aapa buried which showed no one knows what a pa is? the only folks surprised by the result were the staff of the aapa. we need something objective to show folks that we are one answer to the health care crisis and not merely assistants but providers in our own right.

What study was buried? I want to read it.

probably 7 or 8 years ago there was a study done about american's perceptions of PAs. the answers were basically what you would expect for medical assistants. the aapa was shocked and dismayed and never mentioned it again.

someone can probably provide a link( Dr. Halasy?).

Archived