MSNBC headline article on NPs

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/bracing-obamacare-nurse-practitioners-fill-doc-shortage-gap-6C10849957

The headline? Doctor who? As physician shortage grows, nurse practitioners step up

Not only is it an article about NP's specifically, but it seems basically like a mouthpiece for the AANP with quotes about practice limitations and the like. Oh, and absolutely nothing about PAs. I'd deem this significant, because it's the huge headline article from one of the big three American news conglomerates.

Your thoughts?

Most of the negative comments, it seems, have to do with Obama or PAs.

I can see that more clearly now, when I posted there was only 7 comments and no PAs had been mentioned yet. The vitriol coming from possible patients on that reply thread are vile and uneducated, one sees the battle the profession is up against.

This type of article adds confusion because it forces the lie of "physician shortage" onto the public (when really it's just a primary care shortage)

Actually, it's much more than PC, although those are the 3 specialties facing the greatest shortages....https://www.aamc.org/download/100598/data/recentworkforcestudies.pdf

There's also substantial maldistribution of providers. But, it's more than just PC.

I was just getting ready to post this for commentary when I saw it was already here on the forum. I am seriously, seriously concerned about the increasingly high public profile of NPs, with the concomittant and ongoing invisibility of PAs. I have posted my sentiments on this issue elsewhere. I resigned from the AAPA this year and cited specifically my frustration over their lack of attention to promoting our role in the future of healthcare. I am frustrated beyond words. By default (never a good way to make decsions), I wonder if NP school is in my future?

Actually, it's much more than PC, although those are the 3 specialties facing the greatest shortages....https://www.aamc.org/download/100598/data/recentworkforcestudies.pdf

There's also substantial maldistribution of providers. But, it's more than just PC.

You want to know what that "study" is complete BS?

Answer: they cite New York, Massachusetts, and Washington D.C. as having doctor shortages.

In truth those 3 regions have more doctors per capita than anywhere else in the world.

You want to know what that "study" is complete BS?

Answer: they cite New York, Massachusetts, and Washington D.C. as having doctor shortages.

In truth those 3 regions have more doctors per capita than anywhere else in the world.

You have proof, citable proof of course?

Archived