Odds of getting in?

Hello,

This is my first time on the forums. I was just wondering if I have a decent shot of getting into any school. I am applying to several schools including UK, Wake Forest, Alabama, and Methodist U. I will probably apply to other Ohio schools, since I'm a resident of southern Ohio.

I have worked at a Brain Injury Rehab center for 5 years now (2 years passing medication).

I graduated with a 3.86 B.A. in Psychology from Ohio University.

I am currently taking the remainder of my pre-req's. I have an A in anatomy, A in neuroanatomy. Taking physiology and advanced anatomy with cadaver lab in spring. Organic chem and pathophysiology in summer.

I've been studying for the GRE's and hopefully will do well. I would like to eventually work in Neuro or in Psychiatry (considering my background... and that is what I really love to do).

Do I have a shot at getting into a program (assuming that I get A's in the remainder of my classes)? Is there anything else that I could be doing to get ready and make sure that I get in somerwhere....anywhere :D Are there any schools other than UK that start in the spring that are close?

Thank you all for your support!

I havn't taken the GRE.... yet. I plan on taking it in February. Still trying to study up on the Verbal portion. That is really where I need the most help. I took the ACT in high school.... which is much different than the GRE/SAT. I did pretty well with a 29 on it. So, I figure if I can get in the same percentile on the GRE, I should be fine.

My major problem is that the my first 2 quarters I was too busy partying to focus on studies. I had a 2.75 at Wright State University before I transferred to OU. I had a 2 C's in my first two Chemistry classes and a B in biology. Of course, I perked up when I got to OU (I think that I had a B+ in the third quarter of freshman chemistry). I got almost all A's in psych and statistics. Hopefully, those first two quarters won't screw everything up for me.

Also, I havn't really been in a whole lot of EC because I've had to work full time to have a place to live. I was in Psychology Action Club at OU.... and participated in an "un-official" Philosophy club with our professor and several other students.

As far as leadership, I am 23 years old and I am one of 10 people in a company of 300 that are allowed to pass medication in Kentucky. In this same company, I have the third most seniority out of non-management.

Hmmm... I was signed to go to the Air Force Academy by Governor Strickland (he was a congressman at the time).... I didn't follow through :/

That's about all I can think of off the top of my head.... off to work.

Thanks!

These kinds of threads are hard to answer. No one can really tell you what the odds are of you getting into PA school. I know you seek the answer to your question to put you at ease and make you feel good about your chances, however until you apply and go through the process you won't know if you will get in or not. There are applicants with stellar credentials who don't get in...ever. Then there are those with mediocre credentials who do get in...on the first try.

In truth, everyone has a "shot" at getting into the program of their choice. Just do your best!

I am taking summer Organic.... so it is actually 2 semesters in one.

That would work for the cycle opening for application in May 2011. It would be cutting it too close for this cycle; completing summer school in August and matriculating the same month may make the ADCOM reluctant to accept.....

Be mindful of your science GPA ... those As in Psych won't help you there ...

Yep... I realized while in the midst of taking most of my Psych classes that the "soft sciences" are looked down upon (and honestly are much to easy to be taken seriously outside of psych grad schools). The only class in my psych core that I loved was the cognitive psych. That is really what peaked my interest towards neurology. Instead of continuing into OU psych grad school, I went towards Occupational Therapy. My wife is a COTA, my mom is a COTA, my aunt is a COTA. So, logically, I thought that becoming an OT would be a great way to get involved. When I began taking the anatomy courses, I decided that OT would not involve enough Neuro to suit me. So here I am, taking pre-req classes for PA. I really do love all of the anatomy that I am taking. It is enlightening to get away from the field of Psychology because now I can "see" the science instead of "analyzing" the data.

So, I am taking my science classes very seriously. Not to be a stickler, but I will not accept anything lower than an A on the remainder of my classes leading up to grad school. I know that I am very capable of doing this. I am just hoping for a chance to prove myself in a PA program.

Thank you guys for your help!

It's not so much that they're looked down upon, CASPA is specific in what coursework it groups into the science GPA.

https://www.caspaonline.org/applicants2011/faq/gpas.htm#Q6

https://www.caspaonline.org/faq/coursesubject.htm

Admissions committees typically look at the science GPA as an indicator of being successful in a program. I agree with your resolve, A's from here on out. In addition to the effect on your GPA, upward trends do tend to be noticed as well.

Good news.... I received an email yesterday from UK. They are going to give me an extension on my pre-reqs. June 15th is the deadline and my classes end in July. So, hopefuly I will get my first interview in August if everything goes as planned.

I am still studying for GRE. I try to get in at least 30 minutes a day to just keep brushed up. Thanks for your support guys!

I am going to shadow a PA at an endocrinologist's office near where I work in a few weeks. If I have time before my first interviews, I would like to also shadow a neurologist. So, we will see. I have noticed that this isn't a requirement for most of the programs, but I would imagine that a large portion of the questions at the interview would stem from... "How has your past experiences prepared you for the field?" .... or "What are some of the duties of a PA?". So, I would definitely like to be able to answer those with confidence. I'm going to squeeze in a couple of hours a week into shadowing. Then, on spring break if there is any left, I will just finish them out.... or get started at a neurologist's office.

Do most people only do one shadow? Does it matter what specialty you shadow?

@Goosefraba1 I haven't applied to PA programs yet but the couple of PAs that I have talked to said that try to shadow 2-3 in different areas. You don't have to stick with one PA and do 100+ hours. You can do total of 300 hours of shadowing with different PAs. As long as you get the jist of their work and how each PA works in every specialty.

I have another question for former PA students.

I am just a little worried about my HCE. I have a lot of volunteer work and I am beginning to wonder the whole "paid" vs. volunteer work.

Here is what I have done so far:

Optometry Technician- 300 hrs, patient intake, checking eye pressure, taking photographs of optic nerve and retina.

I am currently working in a private clinic (specialty: Geriatrics), i have about 800 hrs or so. I do all the patient intake and I have been trained to give flu shots from my RN.

In addition I have my CNA

I have also volunteered overseas in a non-profit hospital for cancer patients - about 300 hours. (during summer trip)

I will officially start shadowing PAs this semester, which is about 4-5 months. I am planning on shadowing 2 in different specialties, primary care and pediatrics.

Over all my gpa is 3.85 (hoping for 3.9 by the time I apply) and I am very involved in my school. Currently I am working on a community health fair that will be held sometime in april. I will also be taking my GRE's in april and have already started preparing for it. So as far as my HCE and EC do I look okay? Or should I spend some more time in one area over the other? Any advice is appreciated! Thanks for the suggestions in advance! :)

• 3 months later...

Just an update:

I took my GREs two weeks ago. I landed an 1140 (490v and 650q). I know that isn't top notch, but average. I recorded an A in both anatomy and Neuoranatomy. Currently have A in Advanced Anatomy with Cadaver and A in physio. This summer I take micro and ochem. I will make sure that I get As in both of those classes as well. Cadaver and Neuro have been by far my favorite classes since being in college.

Next week I am attending my first open house at UK. I am pretty excited just to get some more information on that program.

I still haven't shadowed a PA :/ Tomorrow I am going to a neuro group to see if I can shadow there. The endocrinologist PA already has a student shadowing for now. I am also going to try to contact local hospitals to see if I could shadow in the evenings after class.

Any extra advice would be awesome!

Thanks, Zach

• 1 month later...

Just submitted my CASPA application. I was surprised to see that my overall GPA was only 3.52 and my science GPA is only 3.26 (thanks freshman year :/). I still have Micro and Ochem this summer to bring the science up a bit more..... but that's it. I got 40 hours in with a primary care PA and included that experience in my app. I had 10,000 hours of HCE... thanks to being employed for 5 years at a TBI rehab. Hopefully, this will be enough to at least get me an interview at UK. Any more suggestions or comments are welcomed and appreciated!

I will be right behind you guys! Also planning on submitting CASPA by the end of this week! *NERVOUS*

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Don't be nervous, keep negative thoughts out of your mind as you finish filling out your application. I was anxious when I submitted mine and was counting each agonizing day for over a month to hear back from any school. But I think back now and realize that I shouldn't have been so nervous. What's the worst that can happen? You either get an interview or you get rejected but you get to learn why you weren't accepted and how you can become better.

I didn't think my stats were close to being considered as a top applicant on paper at all; I thought I was average and was only expecting maybe one interview invite if I got lucky, but guess what, I got invited to three so far, made the most of my opportunities and am now enrolling to my top choice. My outcome turned out to be much better than I initially projected and I'm sure yours will too. After you submit, try to relax and to keep a positive and optimistic attitude throughout the whole process. You'll be fine =)

Archived