Active military - Just getting started

I'm an active duty enlisted member with ZERO college...just getting started.

With my current duty station, I have an ample amount of time for course work, but can not physically attend a college to obtain prerequisites. Online is really my only option, with one exception.

My command has offered to send me to a civilian EMT-B course, 16wks of nights and weekends. They've offered this because it will be beneficial to my Unit on any medevac or injury related search and rescue missios, not to mention Unit training.

On the other hand, I can enroll in online courses and begin pre-reqs.

I am torn between an EMT-B cert or beginning my pre-reqs. With the EMT cert, I can pick up shifts and moonlight with local Fire departments and ambulatory services which will provide beneficial HCE. Although encouraged, HCE is NOT required where i plan to apply.

My concern with taking online courses is the fact that I feel they may not look as good on an application as brick & mortar courses. However, getting started on pre-requisites while I'm enlisted will make the path that much shorter when I separate from the military.

For what its worth, I'm in a non-medical related rate in the USCG, approximately 2yrs left on my enlistment, and I plan to separate from active but remain a reservist. IPAP is a consideration, but the USCG is taking a max of 3 people this year, 2 the year before. Odds are, I won't make IPAP with only 2yrs remaining. Especially since I have not completed ANY pre-requisites.

Any guidance or advice is appreciated. I know there are tons of people with similar questions. I just figured my case may be slightly different due to my military situation. I want to make sure I'm not missing something obvious. My gut tells me to start the pre-reqs because they inevitably need to be done. I'm just concerned that they will not be strong enough to get me into a program. I'm thinking the EMT experience may be more valuable than the extra time it would take to complete the pre-requisites at a later time in a conventional university.

Ive conducted numerous cases where life-saving, medical treatment and resuscitation was involved. I joined the service to help others, and quickly realized that there is not always a person in need. Although I'm proud to serve and wouldn't trade my experience, I'm anxious to get into a field where people need help at all times.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Great username, first of all. I have no military experience at all, so I can't speak to navigating the ins and outs of the service, but I'm absolutely certain there are some excellent resources on here that can help you out with that, and I will defer to them in that case.

I did, however, have several conundrums similar to you over the past five years that I have been exploring the PA profession.

To begin with, I almost didn't become an EMT for the very same reasons - I felt like my time would be better suited banging out some prerequisites than it would taking a basic EMT class. I ended up taking it because my schools DID require HCE, and I have never looked back with regret. I have found that the experience caring for patients is invaluable, and the ability to gain knowledge in the medical field, especially if you're paying attention to what is happening with your patients and why, extremely enlightening. To my mind, it was worth the 16 weeks of school, as I am just coming up on my fifth year as an EMT.

I also worried about taking classes online, because I was a full-time employee for an ambulance company, working a punishing rotation of inner city 24 hour shifts during which sleep was a luxury very rarely afforded to us. I could rarely swing brick and mortar school, but found online classes to be very helpful to me, especially the prerequisites that were not sciences, like sociology, psychology, etc. Online sciences seem to be harder to find, especially with labs that the schools will accept, but its definitely worth looking at.

This is my experience, and my thoughts, but whether they are right for you is something only you can decide. :)

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the EMT stuff...I am a field training officer and an EMT instructor, so I have a pretty good idea of what's what in the EMT world.

Good luck!

I'd try and do both if I were in your current position. Knock out EMT asap, look for a job accumulating patient contact hours (PCH), and then start knocking out general education courses (English, math, psychology, etc). Many schools offer 8/16 week online courses that you can complete and, as USCbigdawg mentioned, check out your bases educational office. Rio Salado in AZ offers general education classes starting weekly so you can really tailor your course load depending on how work, etc is going.

Thank you for the input everyone. Unfortunately I'm on a small base without an education center. I do have access to an education officer, but not much offered on site.

I'll sit and talk with my command and get their input next week. I appreciate your input, and my ears are open if anyone else has anything to add.

Former Navy Corpsman (x10 yrs), Former paramedic.

I HIGHLY recommend that you take up the offer from command to attend EMT school. If for nothing else, when you separate in 2 years, you'll have a civilian skill that can put pizza in the fridge. (assuming you also attend the continuing education courses and maintain your card). But an even better reason is that the school you want to apply to doesn't require medical experience (makes me twitch)...I can only assume that your experience via the EMT training/exposure will be a benefit over the other students.

This is the 21st century. Online education has gained a firm foothold in the world of credibility. I have on line courses for my pre reqs, most of my classmates do as well. Don't get caught up in the facade of brick and mortar. Maybe I just don't have a clear memory, but EMT basic course isn't that tough. It's far less material than a full course load for a semester. Many of us worked full time and took a full course load. You can do the EMT course and cherry pick an easy on line course to at least get started.

I remember I was all fired up to get out of the service "in a couple of years". I finally did it 8 years after those original thoughts. You never know what the future may hold. As for as the IPAP? I can tell you one thing... you won't get in if you don't apply. What's the worse they can do to you? Tell you no? Oohhh shudder..not the "no" word. Let's pretend you are headed out the door in 3 months but Master Chief slides an offer for IPAP across the desk to you. Would you stay? If so, why not apply?

I'm a military trained PA and I started out in the same position. EMT-B without a single college credit to my name as a 17 year old private (I got a waiver to join early) You should never, ever pass up the opportunity to attend a school/program that is paid for by your unit or the installation. I did a bunch of CLEP tests at the post education center to get the ball rolling with the easy classes like English Lit, Basic Humanities, College Algebra. Before I knew it, I had done a full year of college in a few months, from there, however, there are classes you actually need to attend. If I was sitting on the board and I found out that you took organic chem online, chances are I wouldn't select you. Some of those classes are necessary to be in class for. Howver, tuition assistance and all the education benefits make that very easy. You gotta keep plugging away at the classes you need. It's not easy, especially when you're on active duty. Took me ten years, between deployments, changes of duty station etc., to get the classes I needed to attend IPAP. But well worth it

Former Navy Corpsman (x10 yrs), Former paramedic.

I HIGHLY recommend that you take up the offer from command to attend EMT school. If for nothing else, when you separate in 2 years, you'll have a civilian skill that can put pizza in the fridge. (assuming you also attend the continuing education courses and maintain your card). But an even better reason is that the school you want to apply to doesn't require medical experience (makes me twitch)...I can only assume that your experience via the EMT training/exposure will be a benefit over the other students.

This is the 21st century. Online education has gained a firm foothold in the world of credibility. I have on line courses for my pre reqs, most of my classmates do as well. Don't get caught up in the facade of brick and mortar. Maybe I just don't have a clear memory, but EMT basic course isn't that tough. It's far less material than a full course load for a semester. Many of us worked full time and took a full course load. You can do the EMT course and cherry pick an easy on line course to at least get started.

I remember I was all fired up to get out of the service "in a couple of years". I finally did it 8 years after those original thoughts. You never know what the future may hold. As for as the IPAP? I can tell you one thing... you won't get in if you don't apply. What's the worse they can do to you? Tell you no? Oohhh shudder..not the "no" word. Let's pretend you are headed out the door in 3 months but Master Chief slides an offer for IPAP across the desk to you. Would you stay? If so, why not apply?

Don't get me wrong - if I can complete the pre-reqs in time, I WILL be applying for IPAP. I'm just not putting all of my eggs in that basket.

I should be speaking with my command today. I plan to talk with the on-base PA and get his opinion as well. I'm not sure what route he took to get to, and through, school. He's new on base and I haven't met him yet.

Thanks again for your input. It is motivational.

@ SemperPAratus: I was in your shoes a year ago and now I am waiting on schools to send out interview invites and I only have two prerequisites left to complete. It is totally possible! I was a Marine stationed in Okinawa with an infrastrucutre similar to what you are describing. I convinced my command to let me go for a month so I could go through the EMT Basic course at the local Naval Hospital before leaving the island, its the best thing I did in order to prepare for PA school. The discipline you learned in the military is going to be very helpful in your studies for the prerequisites.

@ SemperPAratus: I was in your shoes a year ago and now I am waiting on schools to send out interview invites and I only have two prerequisites left to complete. It is totally possible! I was a Marine stationed in Okinawa with an infrastrucutre similar to what you are describing. I convinced my command to let me go for a month so I could go through the EMT Basic course at the local Naval Hospital before leaving the island, its the best thing I did in order to prepare for PA school. The discipline you learned in the military is going to be very helpful in your studies for the prerequisites.

Dcbrown,

You finished all mandatory pre-reqs in a year? That's impressive. Mind if I ask what schools you applied to? PM if you'd prefer.

Also, has anyone seen the IPAP Prep Course that Kaplan University offers? Its a 10-class course that covers all of the pre-reqs for IPAP, all online, and all approved by University of Nebraska/IPAP. I'm currently waiting on info from Kaplan as they are updating their info page.

Thanks

I shotgun blasted the country with applications, I wound up settling on the East Coast. I already had a liberal arts degree, so I only needed the science prerequisites which is it why I have wiped them out so quickly. The main thing is to maintain 12 credit hours/full time status for your Post 9/11, so you can get your BAH. If you can get something part time working as an EMT while in school that's even better; it'll put some change in your pocket and help with the experience hours. It'll also be a feather in your cap on admissions boards who are looking for students who do well in hard courses while simultaneously working for hours. I don't know much about the IPAP though.

I shotgun blasted the country with applications, I wound up settling on the East Coast. I already had a liberal arts degree, so I only needed the science prerequisites which is it why I have wiped them out so quickly. The main thing is to maintain 12 credit hours/full time status for your Post 9/11, so you can get your BAH. If you can get something part time working as an EMT while in school that's even better; it'll put some change in your pocket and help with the experience hours. It'll also be a feather in your cap on admissions boards who are looking for students who do well in hard courses while simultaneously working for hours. I don't know much about the IPAP though.

Good for you(sincerely). I have '0' college courses under my belt, so a year isn't feasible. However, I MAY be able to finish most of it in my remaining two years active using TA, then GI Bill the rest.

Thanks for your input and your service. Good luck on those interviews.

The timeline will be getting snug as all PA programs are scheduled to be Masters starting 2020. However, until then, look at University of Washington/MEDEX.

They offer a cert program (no bachelors required). They have the option to graduate with your BS if you have all the other pre reqs done.

I started with very little credits. I knocked out the bare requirements for their Cert program and put in my application, and kept going to school full time taking care of the other classes to graduate with my BS. While I was working on the other BS courses, MEDEX interviewed and accepted me (this takes a few months). I accepted the seat at Xmas, kept going to classes working on my BS requirements, finishing the last one in the June of 2011, starting PA school full time July of 11.

They favor prior experience and military. Take the EMT course, get involved as much as you can with anything medical. Crank out the credits, and apply. Yes, you will not fit the traditional amount of HCE hours that most students have for UW but make them tell you no. You may be surprised when they say yes.

Just be prepared that you will be working HARD to self study the program as you go through it. We called it the most expensive self study program you'll ever do. But if you are motivated, focused...never know what can happen.

Get your EMT and all the experience that comes with it! After you settle into your job, take your remaining prereqs online (I did a few of mine through the University of New England). Not sure how TA works in the CG, but UNE accepts TA from other services. Your CG experience will allow you to stand out from other applicants, so use that to your advantage. Try different jobs--it's ok to do things other than health care. It will make you a more well-rounded individual. Remember, you have time; no need to rush. Do well in your classes and in your CG career and you will be successful when you apply to PA school.

do the emt course and when you get a chance do a few online courses for things that normally do not require a lab like math and english courses.

stuff with a lab component like bio courses are more easily done in person although some reasonable online courses exist which send the lab materials to you.

do the emt course and when you get a chance do a few online courses for things that normally do not require a lab like math and english courses.

stuff with a lab component like bio courses are more easily done in person although some reasonable online courses exist which send the lab materials to you.

My #1 choice does not accept distant labs...but I CAN apply to IPAP with them, so I'm not sure yet what I'll do with the sciences and labs. I'll likely do what you said, just knock out the basic stuff.

Thanks.

I would agree with what most everyone else has already said...get your EMT-B, free is always a good perk, start accumulating HCE from the get-go, beauty about experience is it doesn't expire. Then if your only option is to take online courses, take gen. ed. courses, English, History, ethics, politics, etc. Once you have the ability to take course in a classroom begin taking your science courses. I know IPAP has some different requirements but realize the requirements are less strict than any other program when it comes to labs and unless you're guarenteed to get in there, and you're not, I wouldn't shoot low, aim high and you'll have more options open to you when you begin the application process. Hope that helps and good luck and get all the A's you can :)

Archived