How many schools should you apply to?

I'm wondering if I should apply by picking a few reach schools, a few moderate schools, and a few safe schools... but I'm wondering how many of each.

I hear that only applying to a couple sends a wrong message to schools that you think you're so great you can easily get into their program...

So hypothetically: if money isn't an option, and you don't care where you have to move, how many would you apply to?

Lots of threads on this topic. If you apply to too many, it can also appear that you don't actually care about the individual programs. Most people agree that 7-8 is a good number. I would also strongly caution against thinking there are "safe" schools you can apply to. The admittance stats don't necessarily tell you everything a program looks for in its applicants. Also if you look at it as a safe school, it tends to come off that way either in your supplemental apps or your interview.

If money wasn't an option and I didn't care where I had to move I would probably apply to 8 instead of the 6 that I'm applying to. It's up to you..I'm not wasting my time applying to too many schools that I know I would rather not go to but will go to it I have no other option. Out of the 6 that I applied to half are my top picks and the other half are safety schools

You folks might be over-analyzing things a little bit. Maybe it is different for CASPA programs, but my concerns in evaluating an applicant are pretty much limited to:

1. Will this person excel academically?

2. What will this person add to the class cohort to help everyone in the class to succeed?

We have admitted people who applied to 20 programs and others who applied only to us with the number of programs never entering consideration. I am speaking for only one program so your mileage may vary, but many times applicants expend tremendous energy stressing about things that do not matter much.

Good luck!

I applied to one. It was a solid fit. I have heard urban legends of schools declining students who only applied to that one school but I am not so sure that student was declined based on the number of programs they applied (or didn't apply) to. I look at it this way...if I researched the program, exceeded their pre reqs, have a solid HCE background, a bit of life experience that helps me assimilate into a team (aka: get along with others), interviewed well...why would a program decline me based on the number of applications I sent out? Would it not make more financial sense to that program to accept me, knowing they can count on my warm behind in that desk chair (and tuition in their bank) instead of dealing with trying to figure out if I will accept their offer for a seat? Desirable applicants are sought after by schools...this is why they do interviews vs. a first come, first served basis. I think if you take the time to make yourself into that desirable applicant for that particular program, the rest will work itself out.

If questioned about the lack of applications to other programs, you can always play the card of "It was a business decision to limit the number of applications I sent out as I only have limited funds for travel and hotel stays for possible interviews. I searched for a program that I felt is a solid match for what I am looking for in a PA school and opted to focus intently on this school only." Then be damn sure to know that school's mission statement, stats, focus, rotation sites, PANCE pass rate, and any other tiny detail you can glean from graduates from that particular program. Other words, be prepared to actually prove you researched them down to the color of their underwear.

I applied to 1 last year and didnt get in.

I applied to 15 this year and got in to the first one i interviewed at, which happened to be one of the 3 schools i was torn on for my 1st choice. I got in before my CASPA even submitted, so i feel like i wasted a ton of money.

So, basically, I have no idea how many to apply to.

I think it depends on your credentials and how they compare to the average accepted students at the schools you apply to. If you far exceed all of the requirements, then its probably safe to apply to only a few schools. If you meet but do not exceed most of the requirements, its probably a better bet to apply to more schools. I think 6-8 is a good number for many applicants.

Archived