For those of you who interview/hire candidates...

I had a call for a third interview. Is it common to do more than two? It is a surgery preop clinic. My understanding is they're very selective with who "meshes" well with the other PAs.

My first interview with the lead PA and clinical director (ordinarily it would have just been the lead PA, but I was internal and he was at the hospital, so he came by). The second was in the clinic with all the staff (PAs, MAs, RNs, office manager, etc). I was able to meet them and shadow with them. Like a "get to know you session." Now, I have a third interview with the clinical director again. I'm very nervous about this and am trying to prepare. Part of me thinks, "Well, if I were impressive enough, he wouldn't have to meet with with me again." I know it's a lack of self-confidence talking and I need to, instead, congratulate myself on getting this far.

My biggest dilemma about having 3 interviews: I can't wear the same suit again! I'm wondering if it's okay to dress slightly down this time around? I have a crisp white blazer (3/4 length sleeves), patterned white and gray tiered shell with some coral accents, and gray pants (with pumps of course). Otherwise I'm stuck wearing a black suit when it's 95 degrees. I want to look professional -- but I also want to look like I know what's going on in the world.

Any advice on what to expect?

Thanks,

Sheryl

Expect to talk numbers.

I can't give fashion advice, but I will say that as you get more interviews, you want to increase both your apparent desirability and your power projection.

Thanks, good advice. :)

I am not sure about the numbers aspect; It's a hospital system that gives you a score based on your time as a PA, direct patient care, etc. That's how salary is calculated. They're generally fair. But the last time I was there, the lead PA asked me to write down how many hours per week I worked for positions on my resume. Maybe it's a good sign? I guess we'll see. My interview isn't until 7/30.

Maybe this is the one area I can assist in, I've been a healthcare recruiter for the past year and can tell you honestly that a third interview does not always mean they are unsure. There may be another member of the team whom they consult with in order to make a final decision. Always, always, wear a suit! Just change up the shirt you wear underneath. They aren't looking to see how fashionable you are, but want to see that you are consistently professional. Also, smile and be excited! This sounds like common sens,e but you'd be amazed at how many people flop their third interviews because the "decision makers" felt their excitement dwindled after the first interview. Also, the smiling is subconscious to other members of the team, they feel that you'll be easier to get along with the more you smile.

Well, I decided to order a new suit and pray it gets here by Wednesday (which is the promise date) so I have time to have it tailored for the following week. The problem is that I'm short and plus-sized (with strange proportions, esp a small waist and larger calves). And the stores I went to around here have next to nothing in suits. I don't feel comfortable wearing my other suit again -- one because it's extremely hot in this weather, two, because I already did wear it, and three, it's just not comfortable at all. I ordered several and can return the ones I don't want for free. I needed a new suit anyway, so this gives me a good reason to buy one.

I really like the look of the white blazer, but, alas, I agree it's not dressy enough. Thanks everyone.

Sheryl

Archived