How PA friendly is Creighton...??

Hey Guys and Gals...

Creighton has an accelerated LPN to EMT-B program (only 2 weeks) AND a accelerated RN to EMT-P program (also 2 weeks). I figure if a LPN and RN qualify... a PA-C should also...

I'm curious to see how PA friendly they are.

I sent them this email:

Hello,

I see the info pertaining to the accelerated LPN to EMT-B, and the accelerated RN to Paramedic.

Is there a mechanism in place for an accelerated PA-C to Paramedic ???

If not… are PA-Cs allowed to take the RN to Paramedic course?

Thank you, and eagerly awaiting your reply.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I didn't see that they had a PA program so Here is the link to their 2 week RN to Paramedic course: http://ems.creighton.edu/rnp.htm

Now that I think about it... everyone should send them an email inquiring about PAs entering their accelerated Medic program... here is the email address.

cuemse@creighton.edu

this has been brought up in a prior post, I think they said no but eagerly await their answer now.

aren't you still an rn though contrarian? by definition an fnp is also an rn so you should be able to do this regardless.

Yes I am...!!!

But I'm thinking that if a LPN can take classes there and a RN can take classes there... WHY CAN'T a PA-C...

If a new grad PA-C wants to get into EM but only has the EMT-B and want to couple the EMT-P with the PA-C to break into EM as a PA-C this would help...;)

Contrarian

I'm also trying to catch your "post count"...:p

or how about paramedic refresher in 2 weeks( inactive to active)?

I agree they should let pa's take this course.

Yep... that too...!!!

You should be able to take this course and activate your EMT-P in two weeks.

This way if you get "burnt out".... you can ride in the "bus" for a few shifts to rejuvenate...!!!!

If a PA-C is allowed in this class...

They will have the ability to work in their respective communites and ED while looking for a job...;)

Hey Guys and Gals...

Creighton has an accelerated LPN to EMT-B program (only 2 weeks) AND a accelerated RN to EMT-P program (also 2 weeks). I figure if a LPN and RN qualify... a PA-C should also...

I'm curious to see how PA friendly they are.

I sent them this email:

Hello,

I see the info pertaining to the accelerated LPN to EMT-B, and the accelerated RN to Paramedic.

Is there a mechanism in place for an accelerated PA-C to Paramedic ???

If not… are PA-Cs allowed to take the RN to Paramedic course?

Thank you, and eagerly awaiting your reply.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I didn't see that they had a PA program so Here is the link to their 2 week RN to Paramedic course: http://ems.creighton.edu/rnp.htm

Now that I think about it... everyone should send them an email inquiring about PAs entering their accelerated Medic program... here is the email address.

cuemse@creighton.edu

It may be a matter of licensure. In some states PAs are licensed under the BOM so you can't carry an active PA license and an active EMT license. RN licenses are hospital/clinic based licenses so some state require the RN to get a Paramedic license to work in EMS. Also some flight agencies require RNs to have their Paramedic license to work flights because there are things you can do under a Paramedic license that the BON will not allow. I cannot think of anything that you could do as a Paramedic that you couldn't do as a PA.

David Carpenter, PA-C

Since there are EMT-B/Is on here that would like to get the EMT-P credential (whether its for personal satisfaction, a resume padder, or they work in EM and want the "street cred" that it may give...)

I was gonna wait until they were inundated with emails from the 15,ooo member board... before I called...:rolleyes:

their response:

Given your work experience as a PA in emergency medicine for years as well as having been a prior paramedic, you would appear to be an appropriate candidate for the abbreviated 2-week bridge course. I am not making any guarantees but welcome your application if you are interested in pursuing the course. Your background and credentials will be evaluated and a decision made on your appropriateness for the course. If you have any questions, please let me know.

Thats cool E...

Paramedic Certification Course for Health Care Professionals

May 5 – 16, 2008

July 7 – 18, 2008

October 6 – 17, 2008

Course Description

The course is designed to prepare the currently credentialed critical care health care professional for the assessment, care, transport and communication requirements of the sick and injured in the out of hospital setting. While giving an active health care professional (R.N., M.D., D.O.) credit for their clinical and educational expertise, this course supplements and augments skills already gained to enable the participant to function as a valuable prehospital team member with both ground and air service programs. After successful completion, the participant will meet eligibility requirements to complete the National Registry examination for Paramedics.

Pre-requisites: R.N., M.D. or D.O., EMT Basic Certification; two years critical care experience, ACLS provider; trauma and pediatric course certificate.

Didactic training is scheduled during the day, OR time to perform intubations will be scheduled with local hospitals in the mornings prior to classroom time. Field Internship for assessments with local fire departments and ambulance services will be scheduled evenings/weekend during the two-week course. Successful completion of the course requires each student to obtain 50 team leads. This may not be accomplished during the 2 weeks of class, so arrangements can be made with Creighton University EMS Education and your local EMS agencies to complete these in your local area.

The Creighton University EMS Education Program is approved by the Nebraska Department of Health to provide EMT education. Questions regarding reciprocity should be directed to the individual’s state EMS credentialing agency for requirements.

Other Requirements:

• Two letters of recommendation (see enclosed forms)
  • Copy of the following

• Current CPR Certification (HealthCare Provider or equivalent)

• ACLS Certification

• Resume

• EMT License/Certification/Registration

• Drivers License/Birth Certificate

• RN Licensure

• Copy of High School or College Transcripts

• Immunizations: (TB – within last year, Tetanus – within last 10 years, Polio, HEP B, MMR, Varicella)

• Essay – "Why I want to be a Paramedic" Essay should not exceed 1 page and should be double spaced, 10 – 12 pt font with 1" margins.

Here is my gripe...

Why are PAs excluded...??? Why does a PA-C have to seek an "exception" to get this training...?

• 3 years later...

Archived