Snow Day

It's freaking impossible to get around in Brooklyn. The snow is up to the knees and no plowing has been done at all. Do you think as a PA you could be excused from showing up at work in such situation? I bet not many people will go to see a doctor today.
I live in an area where we get one or two small snows a year (as compared to the Midwest where I came from). However, they don't removed the snow here hardly at all the the terrain is very steep and mountainous. With that said, any time we have a bit of snow, both of the docs in our practice don't show up. I usually come in, if the roads are open, because I have a jeep with 4 studded tires. However, 80% of my patients don't show.

It looks horrible out East. Don't blame you for not going in. A good day for a great bowl of soup and an old movie.

I use to live on Lake Superior. There, it snowed about 10 inches every week and never melted. If it was a real blizzard (high winds, 20 inches of snow) you showed up for work as did all you patients. Some would arrive on snowmobile.

Don't mean to make you jealous but right now it is 45. I can look right out my office window and see tons of snow, but it is 1,000 feet up the mountain side with no shoveling or icy roads down here.

A lot of it depends on what field you practice in. If I'm in a Derm office and there is a state of emergency, then it's reasonable to close down the office for the day. If you work in an Emergency Dept then people still rely on you to be available 24/7 and you need to figure out how to get to work. Our ED organizes lists of people with 4WD vehicles to pick up those who might be stuck, and occasionally might call on the police to make sure a vital person makes it in.

its ridiculous how the government doesn't care about people this time and not dispatching the snow plowing vehicles to clear up the roads. Makes me want to get the hell out of this stinking city sooner then I thought before. Go somewhere in the woods where the air is clean and I don't see dog poop every 20 inches. What's wrong with these people?

my day started at 6am to go plow the parkinglot of my wife practice....

got worse about 8:30 as I backed into a parked car - over $1k in damages to other vehicle.... going to pay out of pocket to protect the insurance rates.......

arrive 10 min late at office and see a total of 14 patients (mostly in the afternoon) Not bad for a snow storm day about 10 less then I am used to seeing...

still had the cerumen complaint, the 3 days of a runny nose/cold, and all the other crazy little complaints that you never expect a patient to walk 5-10 blocks to see you for "you have had a runny nose and sore throat for 3 days..... why are you here? after walking with her5 yr old child!!! crazyness.....

In my job now if you don't go in, someone is staying over for you and that is not fun after you've worked a 12 or 16 hour shift already. I have to imagine that many EDs or practices are set up in a similar manner, in which you're relieving someone. So by not going in you're seriously inconveniencing someone else. If that means going in early, so be it. If that's not the system you work off, then by all means enjoy the snow day!

I work in an ED and I had to wake up extremely early. Shovel my driveway and then drive 10-20 miles per hour all the way to work so that I wouldn't force the night staff to work my 12 hour shift in addition to theirs. So if you're in private practice and your office is closed. Enjoy. But if you are hospital based, remember that the hospital doesn't close for snow days and sick patients will still be around to be taken care of.

Archived