Advice for ATLS

I am taking my ATLS course at the end of the week, have my book and should have my access opened to the pre-test any day now. Any thoughts from those of you that have taken the course. I have heard it can be difficult to pass and was curious if you fail the test do they give you another shot or have to re-pay and take again? As a new grad I have not performed many of the procedures in the skill section, so not sure of the margin of error.

you get teaching on all the procedures and a practice round of the practical before you take the real one. folks who fail either the written or practical can come back later for a retest.

most of the stuff on the written is from the early parts of each chapter. for example the trauma in pregnancy section might have a question on physiologic changes during pregnancy which is in the first paragraph of the chapter. the one on kids and trauma always has a question about how their airways are different than adults, etc.

I have taken it 4 times and recert again in a few months. great course. hopefully you are taking it somewhere PAs can fully participate instead of just audit so you get a card when done, not just cme.

Thanks EMEDPA. I am actually receiving my card, as I am 2nd in line for trauma after the docs (they told me to be prepared to work gunshots and stabbings). The ER I work expects PAs to work all levels including cardiac, and we have to do initial reads on all x-rays before discharge. Very nervous as a new grad, but this is what I wanted. I bought many of the books you and RCdavis recommended on the forum, any other advice would be great

Read. Everything. Once you start seeing cases, go home and just voraciously read about the pathophys, treatment, etc. Do it for 2 years. You'll get comfortable... but that comfort comes from both experience and knowledge. Just seeing patients isn't enough. Read as much as you can.

G

Thanks EMEDPA. I am actually receiving my card, as I am 2nd in line for trauma after the docs (they told me to be prepared to work gunshots and stabbings). The ER I work expects PAs to work all levels including cardiac, and we have to do initial reads on all x-rays before discharge. Very nervous as a new grad, but this is what I wanted. I bought many of the books you and RCdavis recommended on the forum, any other advice would be great
With all due respect, sounds like a dangerous place for a new grad.

I did ATLS while in the Army in Flight Medic school. The whole class had real world experience (translation: did at least one deployment as a medic) and the hardest part about ATLS was two things:

1 - inspite of the teaching do not go back into your "normal" mode of assessment. The grade sheets for the hands on are standardized and the more in order you can do them, the easier life is for your grader and in turn, you.

2 - remember to vocalize EVERYTHING you're doing. Just because you palpate for a pulse, doesn't mean they're going to check you off on it. Some graders are just that way and want you to vocalize everything you're doing.

After like 2 practice runs the day before final assessment, we all passed. The major automatic no-go is not securing c-spine when log rolling to examine the back and palpate the spinal column. I almost missed this one, but caught it just in time.

Good luck and have fun with it. Remember...the best part about working trauma is that it is a trauma TEAM that you have available and they will have your back.

Rich

• 1 month later...

I did my ATLS 2 yrs ago and thought it wasnt bad. I get oral exam test anxiety, and I was the only PA there, AND I had just graduated like 2 months prior. My location did 2 practice orals before the real deal, and all 3 testers said I did fine. It was at UTSW in Dallas, which is a level I trauma center and the CHIEF OF TRAUMA was my examiner. After he said I passed I told him of my experience and fears....He laughed and said he'd have been proud to have me work with him anytime.....

I think if you read, study, read some more....you would do fine.

On a side note, my practice (ortho) decided that I didn't need to recert, so I didn't.

I did my ATLS 2 yrs ago and thought it wasnt bad. I get oral exam test anxiety, and I was the only PA there, AND I had just graduated like 2 months prior. My location did 2 practice orals before the real deal, and all 3 testers said I did fine. It was at UTSW in Dallas, which is a level I trauma center and the CHIEF OF TRAUMA was my examiner. After he said I passed I told him of my experience and fears....He laughed and said he'd have been proud to have me work with him anytime.....

I think if you read, study, read some more....you would do fine.

On a side note, my practice (ortho) decided that I didn't need to recert, so I didn't.

if you want to take the em caq you will need to recert.

BOOOO...LOL.

Guess I'll do that in the spring to sit for Sept test.....grrrrrr

do you have 3000 hrs as an em pa and the difficult airway course?

Applicants should also complete the following courses:

• Pediatric Advanced Life Support or Advanced Pediatric Life Support

• Advanced Trauma Life Support

Airway course

Experience Requirement

Physician assistants seeking the Emergency Medicine CAQ must have gained at least 3,000 hours of experience (the equivalent of 18 months of full-time practice) working as a PA in emergency medicine within six years of the date they attest to NCCPA that the experience requirement has been satisfied. If selected for an audit, documentation substantiating that work experience will be required.

Read. Everything. Once you start seeing cases, go home and just voraciously read about the pathophys, treatment, etc. Do it for 2 years. You'll get comfortable... but that comfort comes from both experience and knowledge. Just seeing patients isn't enough. Read as much as you can.

G

The most important thing is seeing patients. The second most important thing is to read, and learn and solidify what you have seen.

Kargiver's advise is the best you will ever get. Follow it.

Archived