Classes starting Fall 2014

Good luck to you guys! I am a second year student at South, feel free to ask questions on this board. There are a few of us on here that will answer questions as we see them. You won't start interviewing at South until Jan/Feb, so it will be quite a long wait! Again, GOOD LUCK! 

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

chandra0118,

Lots of students in my class are out of state applicants. so no worries there! they won't start sending invites until January most likely. The new class just started this quarter so they have a lot to do right now, and they are setting up my class's rotations so everyone is pretty busy! Good luck to you!

lassibk,

Thanks for taking your time to answer aspiring PA students questions. I recently graduated from college so this is my first time applying to schools. South is one that I am really interested in.

I have been somewhat discouraged being 22 because I have read many times that they seem to favor older students with a few years work experience. I have alot of shadowing and volunteering hours but am just now starting to work in the profession.

Everything else is very good on my application and I was wondering what your feedback would be on this.

Thanks again for your time.

Hey guys. I'm an athletic trainer from Fort Worth, TX and I'm applying for South College as well. Both overall and science GPAs are a shade above a 3.0, but I do have two degrees: bachelor of science and master of athletic training and sports medicine at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center. I've been working for an orthopedic and sports medicine clinic since finishing graduate school in 2010 and have over 6000 hrs of direct patient contact experience. I'm starting to get a little weary and anxious.Anybody with similar stats in the same boat as me??

Gary Gostnell, MAT, ATC, LAT Ggostnell@sportherapy.net

lassibk,

Thanks for taking your time to answer aspiring PA students questions. I recently graduated from college so this is my first time applying to schools. South is one that I am really interested in.

I have been somewhat discouraged being 22 because I have read many times that they seem to favor older students with a few years work experience. I have alot of shadowing and volunteering hours but am just now starting to work in the profession.

Everything else is very good on my application and I was wondering what your feedback would be on this.

Jon9,

I was 23 when I applied. The average age of my classmates is somewhere around 28-29, with a few fresh out of college and a few in their 40s. So really, they do like older students bc they are more mature and generally have more experience, but they take every type of student to make a well rounded class. It is nice to have people from all walks of life in my class. Honestly though, I think as long as you can prove to them that this is where you want to be, you can show them that you have had good life experience, and you are ready to commit to this fully, you will be fine. Hopefully you have a good GPA and background from school and a good GRE score. That should help you get an interview, then just prove to them that you deserve to be here! 

lassibk,

Jon9,

I was 23 when I applied. The average age of my classmates is somewhere around 28-29, with a few fresh out of college and a few in their 40s. So really, they do like older students bc they are more mature and generally have more experience, but they take every type of student to make a well rounded class. It is nice to have people from all walks of life in my class. Honestly though, I think as long as you can prove to them that this is where you want to be, you can show them that you have had good life experience, and you are ready to commit to this fully, you will be fine. Hopefully you have a good GPA and background from school and a good GRE score. That should help you get an interview, then just prove to them that you deserve to be here! 

lassibk, Thank you for answering my post. That is pretty much what I thought but will hang in there and hope for a chance at an interview. My overall GPA and Science GPA is approximately 3.5. I have good leadership and volunteer experience that shows on my resume. My GRE was 302. I may retake next year if I don't get in. South was one of 4 schools I have applied to. I already have 2 interviews scheduled at schools that start next May.  South's is alot later than most. Thank you again for your time.

I just received my acknowledgement today that they received my CASPA application, supplement application, and GRE scores.  My CASPA was sent out October 1st.  The email states that they have started reviewing applications and interviews should start in January and conclude in May and they'll be notifying you 2-4 weeks in advance.  

chandra0118,

Lots of students in my class are out of state applicants. so no worries there! they won't start sending invites until January most likely. The new class just started this quarter so they have a lot to do right now, and they are setting up my class's rotations so everyone is pretty busy! Good luck to you!

Lassibk, 

Does I seemed pushy by calling to check on my application? Do you think that by submitting applications in Aug-Oct is a good idea and may give you a better shot of at least an interview?  Do you think they will interview those people early if they are interested in that applicant?  If you are accepted during their interview, will they begin giving you information about financial? Also, I would like to send you my personal statement to see what you think.  I'm soooo sorry with all of the questions but I am so anxious.  I have been to the informational at South and all over the internet to find any tips I can.  I have NEVER been so "HUNGRY" for something in my life.  

Lassibk,

Does I seemed pushy by calling to check on my application? Do you think that by submitting applications in Aug-Oct is a good idea and may give you a better shot of at least an interview? Do you think they will interview those people early if they are interested in that applicant? If you are accepted during their interview, will they begin giving you information about financial? Also, I would like to send you my personal statement to see what you think. I'm soooo sorry with all of the questions but I am so anxious. I have been to the informational at South and all over the internet to find any tips I can. I have NEVER been so "HUNGRY" for something in my life.

Vlsmith, personal message me and I will give you my email so you can send me your personal statement.

Just got word today that they are changing interviews a little this year. Interviews will start earlier his year, not sure when. you won't be notified if you get one until 2 weeks prior to the interview.

I don't think it's pushy to call and check on things, it's good to remind them that you are interested.

I think submitting your app ASAP is best. That gives you a better shot at an interview for sure.

If you do interview and they tell you that you got in, you do receive a financial packet, but it takes a long time to process all of those things. You wouldn't recieve any financial aid until you started school anyway, so don't worry about that now.

Vlsmith, personal message me and I will give you my email so you can send me your personal statement.

Just got word today that they are changing interviews a little this year. Interviews will start earlier his year, not sure when. you won't be notified if you get one until 2 weeks prior to the interview.

I don't think it's pushy to call and check on things, it's good to remind them that you are interested.

I think submitting your app ASAP is best. That gives you a better shot at an interview for sure.

If you do interview and they tell you that you got in, you do receive a financial packet, but it takes a long time to process all of those things. You wouldn't recieve any financial aid until you started school anyway, so don't worry about that now.

Do you think by offering interviews earlier that this is because most schools make decisions before South...and they may lose good students? I really like what I have seen at South and hope to get an interview. But I have interviews already at two other schools. If offered I had thought about South. And even though I really hope to get a shot there....I would have to accept another offer rather than wait so late on South. What are your thoughts on this. Thanks for your input.

Do you think by offering interviews earlier that this is because most schools make decisions before South...and they may lose good students? I really like what I have seen at South and hope to get an interview. But I have interviews already at two other schools. If offered I had thought about South. And even though I really hope to get a shot there....I would have to accept another offer rather than wait so late on South. What are your thoughts on this. Thanks for your input.

Yes I think they are trying to give better students a shot at coming to South. I think if you do get into another program you should definitely take it! You can always put a deposit down somewhere and choose the school that you would prefer later. It is okay to accept somewhere and change your mind! I would never pass up an offer though, so unless you absolutely hate the program, accept the offer! haha. What is a few hundred dollars in the grand scheme of things? save your seat at your alternate school, and still go to other interviews even if you do get in, make a good choice for you. 

Yes I think they are trying to give better students a shot at coming to South. I think if you do get into another program you should definitely take it! You can always put a deposit down somewhere and choose the school that you would prefer later. It is okay to accept somewhere and change your mind! I would never pass up an offer though, so unless you absolutely hate the program, accept the offer! haha. What is a few hundred dollars in the grand scheme of things? save your seat at your alternate school, and still go to other interviews even if you do get in, make a good choice for you. 

Thanks for the advice. And you are right....no way I would turn down an acceptance to PA school. If South is going to extend interview invitations earlier this year do you have any idea when they will start?

Archived