Should I retake the GRE?

I am in the 37% for Quant and 93% for Verbal. I am considering retaking it but am worried about doing worse and unsure which score will be counted by the schools. I know some take the most recent and some take the highest in each section. Also, I took the exam a few years ago before it was revised and the new revised version looks a little more difficult. I would appreciate any insight and advice. Thanks

I had taken both the older version and the revised version and I didn't think there was much change in difficulty. I actually think I preferred the newer version. I would also say to check with programs you are interested since GRE does not seem to play into admissions decisions all that much at most schools. Good luck!

I took the GRE in 2003 or 2004, before PA school. It had been almost 40 years since I had taken a math class. I found the downloadable math reference at the GRE site to be an excellent review. I printed it and did all of the exercises, which I think helped me get back up to speed and do fine on the actual test. I also found that the on-line sample test gave me almost the same school I eventually got when I took the test itself.

Good luck!

61 percent performed higher than me on the math, but I performed higher than 86 percent on verbal, and scored 5.0 in analytical writing. ... I'd focus more on finding out the minimum score accepted by the programs you are interested in, and go from there. Of all the admission requirements, I've learned most PA programs put the least emphasis on your GRE score as long as it meets the minimum. They'll care more about your science and pre-req performance, HCE experience, LORs and your personal narrative. Assuming all those aspects of your application are above average, I'd worry little about your GRE score. If you're closer to being a borderline applicant in those areas, maybe revisit the GRE?

Archived